What shows on the new HD channels have you found that look great?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nazz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
I thought a thread about great looking shows on the new channels that are not upconverts would be helpful to know which ones to set up for recording.

What actual HD programs have you found that are worth checking out?

Wow, no one sees anything that they like on the new channels? I was just cruising through and happened to stop on MHD. I really had no expectation of liking the channel considering that some of the stuff was supposed to come from MTV. I landed on a concert with The Who. It looked gorgeous to me. I'm watching on a 52" Toshiba RPTV. I don't have any gear for checking what resolution or bitrate it was but it was what I expected HD to look like. I don't know that all the shows on that channel look that good but it was good enough to get me to stop and watch that concert. Up until now I've been watching my concerts on Rave and HDNet (Soundstage). I sure hope that all the mpeg4 channels look that good. As others have said in other threads, a lot of the new stuff just looks like upscaled 4x3 stuff. But, I'll give them a break for a while until they get a chance to start recording original stuff in HD.

All my favorites from Discovery channel are great - Dirty Jobs, Mythbusters, and Build it Bigger are great. Especially the graphics on Build It Bigger - some of the best HD I've seen.

All my favorites from Discovery channel are great - Dirty Jobs, Mythbusters, and Build it Bigger are great. Especially the graphics on Build It Bigger - some of the best HD I've seen.

It is a hit or miss with Mythbusters, Buid it Bigger and Dirty Jobs. As someone commented before, some of it is SD upconvert and some shows are HD but also some are shot with cheap HD equipment because the scene do not look at all like the best HD I have seen.

The same happens with Blue Planet on Science HD. Great program when it is HD but some of it also may be a combination of good HD equipment and cheap ones.

On animal planet hd, Wild Kingdom is very good when it is HD. I have not watched anything on TLC HD. Most of it is upconvert. MHD have provided some good videos but lots of their videos lack luster. Either they are upconverts or cheap HD equipment or technically they are doing something wrong. I watched the James Brown concert and it was excellent. I have not seen anything else that interest me there.

Versus is just a waste of channel to me. I do not follow hockey or golf or anything they have on it. So far it has zero interest to me.

Do not get me wrong when you put all these channels with a few hd programs here and there, the DVR becomes very full and and USB archive is imperative.

Versus

I'm not on a high enough tier, but I'm considering going there for Versus. Does anyone know if any of their College Football will be in HD?

It is a hit or miss with Mythbusters, Buid it Bigger and Dirty Jobs. As someone commented before, some of it is SD upconvert and some shows are HD but also some are shot with cheap HD equipment because the scene do not look at all like the best HD I have seen.

I've been watching these series from the beginning so my timer is set up to only record NEW ones - and those, so far, have been in HD. I assumed that they were all in HD since before the new channel they were 16x9 letterbox on Discovery SD. Guess not...

MHD has impressed me more so than any of the zoom-o-vision stuff on Discovery. MHD zooms, too. FTR, I very much enjoyed "Alicia Keys: Unplugged".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts