What streaming devices do you have?

I only stream from my local LAN, so I have two discontinued streaming devices: a Mediagate MG-35 and a Patriot Box Office. And both of those have disks inside and I generally push my material (movies) to their internal disks before viewing, so I don't really use them for streaming.

Oh yes. Do my Dish DVR receivers count? I also have a plethora of PCs, tablets, and smartphones, but nobody wants to watch movies on them.

Hard to say. There's the Roku 2XS/XD?, and an LG BD player and the Sony PS3 I don't use anymore. (Really ought to sell that). And , technically, all our PCs, tablets and my iPhone. Probably something else that doesn't come to mind.

Lets see...

Roku 4
Roku 3
Roku (Original)
Apple TV (New one)
Apple TV Gen 2
WDTV Live
Boxee Box (With TV Tuner add on)
Sony Bluray 4K Upscaling player (with streaming)
A number of Android TV / Google TV Devices
Chromecast (Gen 1)
Samsung HU8550 4K TV with Tizen Streaming apps

Probably have more but that is all I can think of at the moment.

I have

Roku 4

Roku 3

Roku Streaming Stick

Apple TV (Gen 4)

Apple TV (Gen 3)

Amazon Fire (Gen 1)

Oppo BDP-103 BluRay (streaming)

Hmm, currently I have:

Roku 3
Roku 2
Roku stick
Fire tv stick (2)
Xbox one
PS3
Media center PC

And 4 "smart TVs"

I think The Krell's distinction is important. There is a decided difference between DLNA and/or file-based streamers and devices that channel OTT services like Youtube, Hulu, Amazon and Netflix.

For OTT services I use a Roku 3 (previously a PS3).

For DLNA and direct file access (no need for a media server) I use a KDLinks HD700 (previously a Patriot Box Office).

These days it is difficult to buy a TV or player without some sort of streaming. I have a dozen of them, including Rokus. But convenience becomes a big factor, at least for me. For content streaming, I almost exclusively use my TIVO for the simple reason that TIVO has done an excellent job of integrating the streaming, the guide and the recorded content. A search will return all three as will a request for upcoming episodes. It also includes youtube in addition to the majors.

For file streaming, I will fall back to the chromecast.

Reactions: TheKrell
For file streaming, I will fall back to the chromecast.
The Chromecast isn't much of a streamer. It is functionally more of a wireless display adapter and as such, cannot function without some other streaming device feeding it.

A file streamer needs to be able to handle multiple CODECs as well as being able to independently browse filesystems or media shares to locate content to play.

generally with the chromecast I am mirroring a display window from a tablet or laptop.
That is all the Chromecast is capable of. I believe that as a technology device it was way oversold as to what it would bring to the experience. Google promised OTT, DLNA and more but that is entirely dependent on a fully capable and independent streaming device to feed it.

The Rokus, Fire boxes and similar operate more or less independently and provide access to a complete palette of OTA and DLNA content without needing to employ some other smart device.

4th Gen AppleTV
3rd Gen AppleTV
Panasonic BluRay player w/Internet Apps
Sony Bravia w/Internet Apps

Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini
Roku 2XD
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Xbox One
PS4
Smart TV

The Tivo Roamio and Tivo Mini are used the vast majority of the time since they are the only devices on that list that output 24Hz streaming media at 24Hz. Most content on Blu-ray, Netflix, and Amazon is in 24Hz but the rest of my streamers convert this to 60Hz before outputting to my TV. This causes lots of screen judder on shots that pan from side to side and when it is really bad it makes me a little motion sick. I use the Tivos for all of my Netflix, Amazon, MLB.tv, Hulu Plus, and Youtube streaming.

I use the Xbox One in the living room and Roku in the bedroom for apps that aren't available on Tivo. These are used for the HBO, Showtime, Starz, and Twitch apps mostly but I use those services much less frequently than the ones that are available on Tivo.

The Apple TV has been moved to our summer cabin on the lake. We have internet but no TV there so we use it for Netflix, iTunes PPV rentals, MLB.tv, WatchESPN and occasionally use it to airplay my the Dish Anywhere app from my parents hopper from an iPad for live tv that isn't otherwise available there.

Roku 4
Roku 3
2 Roku 2
Roku Stick
Fire TV Stick
PS4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)