What sub channel networks are available?

boba

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 12, 2003
Dorchester, TX.
Over the last year and a half we have had several sub channels come and go in the Dallas market. Currently I think RTV is the only network type sub channel being offered. Cool TV and This TV have both come and gone and 33.2 has announced a new subchannel for Jan 2012. I was wondering what other sub channel networks are being offered to other nationwide markets?

are we talking just English and excluding some of the obvious like PBS ones, TBN mux and Ion mux?

RTV
This TV
METV (coming soon.....it will be the national feed of the Chicago local)
TheCoolTv
The Country Network
Universal Sports
Antenna TV (coming Jan 1)

In my area Telmundo, MyTV and WB are all sub channels, PBS is still analog. It would be interesting if someone came in and put all these channels together on one station.

I think the original post meant stations that are mainly designed to be subchanels. In most major markets those stations you posted are on Full powered stations.
Smaller markets will have CW, My, even Fox on subchannels

Thanks Iceberg post 2 was what I was looking for for information. I am surprised there are so few that have developed for the digital markets. I have access to both the Dallas/Fort Worth DMA and the ADA/Sherman DMA. In Sherman we have only 2 broadcasters channel 10 & 12. but they do a good job with the networks. Channel 10 offers 10.1NBC 10.2 CW & 10.3 ABC Channel 12 offers 12.1 CBS 12.2MYTV 12.3 FOX not bad for a small DMA.

DFW DMA was the reason for the main post for as large as this DMA is the surviving national networks are poorly represented. RTV is the only network still broadcasting from your list and they are on a low power digital broadcaster. Apparently in this market the subchannels haven't been able to get needed advertising. We definitely have some underused sub channels and many that really need some content changes.

Here in Dallas FOX 4 also owns 27 MYTV neither have sub channels but with 20th Centuy FOX studios it would seem they could form some type of service. Or CH 11 CBS also owns CH 21 former UPN no sub channels but programming available to form a service.
Seems like in researching Antenna TV I found WGN was contemplating adding an AM radio station as a sub channel, our PBS has an FM station could they add this to their broadcasts?

Last edited:
are we talking just English and excluding some of the obvious like PBS ones, TBN mux and Ion mux?

RTV
This TV
METV (coming soon.....it will be the national feed of the Chicago local)
TheCoolTv
The Country Network
Universal Sports
Antenna TV (coming Jan 1)

MeTV and Antenna TV seem to be the same service owned by Tribune Broadcasting. Seeing CH 33 Dallas is owned by Tribune it looks like Antenna TV will be coming to 33.2 Jan.3rd. Looks like OLD OLD TV shows some like Bennie Hill will be watchable.

NBC Universal Sports is carried on CH5 NBC so I don't count them as a national network.

Last edited:
Minneapolis is the same way. Until we got CoolTV & The Country Network as subchanels on CW (owned by Sinclair....who added one or both to all their stations) the only subchannels we had were SD counterparts (Fox & My), a crappy weather channel, replays of news and again weather map and the normal PBS, TBN & Ion add ons

oh we did get This TV too....what bugs me is in MN Hubbard Broadcasting (remember them...owned USSB) owns all ABC stations licensed in MN. Yet they only carry RTV on one (WDIO Duluth and satellite WIRT Hibbing)....Minneapolis gets the crappy reruns of news and KAAL Austin, MN has no subchannels

Minneapolis is the same way. Until we got CoolTV & The Country Network as subchanels on CW (owned by Sinclair....who added one or both to all their stations) the only subchannels we had were SD counterparts (Fox & My), a crappy weather channel, replays of news and again weather map and the normal PBS, TBN & Ion add ons

oh we did get This TV too....what bugs me is in MN Hubbard Broadcasting (remember them...owned USSB) owns all ABC stations licensed in MN. Yet they only carry RTV on one (WDIO Duluth and satellite WIRT Hibbing)....Minneapolis gets the crappy reruns of news and KAAL Austin, MN has no subchannels

For being a smaller DMA than Dallas you have a much better selection of sub channels, all we have currently is RTV. I guess with the snow your neighbors spend more time inside watching TV so the broadcasters need to offer more.

ME TV is owned by Weigel not Tribune...I believe. Boba I'm surprised you don't have a bigger variety as well. Even in Cincinnati area they under utilize the subs....Dayton channel 2 has 2.1 & 2.2 same thing on both. Channel 5.1 NBC and 5.2 Weather, 7.1 ABC and 7.2 Weather, 9.1 ABC and 9.2 Weather...and so on....Channel 25 is our local low power which has several channels...RTV, America One, Universal Sports, and Jewelry Tv....gotta give them credit for trying.... Blind

I just received confirmation from WDAF in Kansas City that in January they will be carrying Antenna TV. Antenna TV is owned by WGN and Tribune which also owns WDAF. We still receive This and it seems to be doing well. I keep trying to start the rumor that ME TV is coming, but so far the only thing any station will tell me is keep watching.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts