What switch for 2nd dish ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gep2001

Original poster
Aug 26, 2006
I have DTV aimed at 101 with single LNB. Obstruction requires 2nd dish for 119 satellite. What switch do I need? Have just one receiver. Thanks.

Are you ONLY aiming for 119 (for locals, spanish) or do you ALSO need 110?

If you ONLY need 101 & 119, a simple 4x4 switch will work just fine. (There used to be simpler 2x1 or 4x2 switches, but they are no longer made)

would be much easier to just swap the odu for a triple sat dish. the triple sat has 101, 110, and 119 lnb with built in 4 way switch in the head. prolly cheaper too considering what peeps on ebay sell switches for.

thatleadtechnician said:
would be much easier to just swap the odu for a triple sat dish. the triple sat has 101, 110, and 119 lnb with built in 4 way switch in the head. prolly cheaper too considering what peeps on ebay sell switches for.

I think what he was trying to tell you is that he CAN'T do this - he is probably having to put the 119 dish in a totally different location from the 101 dish to see the sat. (trees or other obstruction, etc) The OP sounds like he already knew this... ;)

dishrich said:
I think what he was trying to tell you is that he CAN'T do this - he is probably having to put the 119 dish in a totally different location from the 101 dish to see the sat. (trees or other obstruction, etc) The OP sounds like he already knew this... ;)

Right about different location for 2nd dish. I forgot about satellite at 110. Since I have single LNB I might not be getting them either. I only want to put up one more dish and will try both 110 and 119 to see which works best. I tried a Steren 201-740 22kHz 2x1 switch and could not get it to work. I'll buy a 4x4 and try again. Thanks for the feedback.

gep2001 said:
I only want to put up one more dish and will try both 110 and 119 to see which works best.

HUH??? Have no idea what you mean by "which works best" - you do understand that each sat position has specific prog on it, right? (it has nothing to do with "what works best") Maybe it would help us if you told us what prog exactly you are trying to pick up... ;) ;)

Last edited:
With present single dish aimed at 101 I get about half of the stations I subscribe to. I assume that the rest of them are on 110 and 119. It appears that DTV moves stations between satellites because last year I was receiving HBO and some cable networks ok part of the year, they disappeared nearly a year, then suddenly began again. I want to set up 2nd dish to get the most number of stations, especially movie channels. Thanks again.

All the SD national D* channels are on the 101, so if you're not getting all your national channels then there's something wrong with your main dish. If you're not getting HD and/or locals from the 119 and you should, then a two dish setup might be needed to get around LOS obstructions. I'd use a Phase III dish pointed at the 119 and 110 sats along with your round dish aimed at the 101, then run cables from the 13v/18v inputs of your multiswitch to the 101 and a second set of cables from the 22kHz 13v/18v inputs of the multiswitch to the Phase III dish. Voila! You have access to all three satellites.

gep2001 said:
With present single dish aimed at 101 I get about half of the stations I subscribe to. I assume that the rest of them are on 110 and 119. It appears that DTV moves stations between satellites because last year I was receiving HBO and some cable networks ok part of the year, they disappeared nearly a year, then suddenly began again.

I think you're confused w/DISH network - their "regular" programming is spread across the 110 & 119 slots. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)