What to buy? Too many choices and too expensive!

transmission_doctor

Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
culpeper, va
I am presently paying way to much for Comcast programming. I am thinking about switching to Dish and have some tech questions.

I would like to be able to watch two different shows on two different tv's, A DVR is highly desirable but the monthly fees for DVR and Hopper are not!

Does anyone have any suggestions on equipment configuration that would accomplish this. I have no HD tv's at this point so HD is not necessarily a requirement.

At present I own an Echostar/Dish 5000 receiver (probably about 9 years old). Does any one know whether this can be put to use?

I understand that the Dish 211 receiver can be configured with a hard drive and becomes a DVR for a one time fee of $39.95. Are there any multi tuner receivers with this capability?

I am open to suggestions.

Thanks

Jerry

I am presently paying way to much for Comcast programming. I am thinking about switching to Dish and have some tech questions.

I would like to be able to watch two different shows on two different tv's, A DVR is highly desirable but the monthly fees for DVR and Hopper are not!

Does anyone have any suggestions on equipment configuration that would accomplish this. I have no HD tv's at this point so HD is not necessarily a requirement.
If you use two 211Ks and turn them both into DVRs with an external hard drive each, you would have no DVR fee but your upfront cost would be higher, and actually, your monthly fee cost would still be $7 for the 2nd 211K. Since you say you have 2 tvs, and neither are HD at the moment, I would get a 722k which does have the $7 DVR fee, but no extra fee for the 2nd outlet (SD only). You would future-proof yourself at the first TV location in case you ever get an HD tv at that location. The added benefit to having the 722 versus two 211s is that your recordings would be integrated into one DVR.

At present I own an Echostar/Dish 5000 receiver (probably about 9 years old). Does any one know whether this can be put to use?
Not sure, but my initial guess would be no, it can't be activated.

I understand that the Dish 211 receiver can be configured with a hard drive and becomes a DVR for a one time fee of $39.95. Are there any multi tuner receivers with this capability?
No, the 211 is the only one with that capability.

Thanks

Jerry
See inline answers above.

Upgrade to a 722k receiver if you can. It has two satellite tuners and you can add an OTA tuner to it in the future. It can feed one TV in HD and the second TV in SD. You can record two programs at once while you can watch a program that has already been recorded. You can watch live TV while recording another program. You can also watch live TV on both TVs as long as you are not recording anything.

The only monthly fee for the receiver is the DVR and it is $7 per month. You may have to subscribe to HD programming but you can have the $10 per month fee waived if you sign up for auto-pay and paperless billing.

You could also upgrade to a Hopper and Joey. You would have a $12 DVR fee and $7 fee for the Joey so it would be $12 more than the 722k. The Hopper has a lot more to offer though, like a larger hard drive, third tuner for recording and both TVs could do HD.

2 211's, add external hard drives for 40 bucks software activation.... Equipment fees be 7 bucks a month.....

Or 1 722 reciever, equipment fees are 7 bucks a month....

You would be better off getting the 722. More functionality especially since HD isn't important.

TD,

Did you ask Comcast for a better rate? Although we have FiOS at our primary residence in Dallas (since 2008) I've had Comcast at our VA home since I work here 50% of the time. I have been paying $119.99 per months for their double play for the past 3-years, and just had the special renewed for another year. I receive the Digital Premiere (all the digital channels to include the Sports Package (BTN, Red Zone, NBA, NHL, NFL, etc.) and all the premium movie channels (HBO, SHO, MAX, Starz, TMC, etc.) along with 30/15 Mbs Internet. I only require Internet since I have two Tivos and DC and Richmond OTA antennas, so there is only so much I am willing to pay for TV. FiOS has been trying to get me to switch for the past 2-months now that they've wired the neighborhood, but they won't match Comcast's price. Plus, I already Verizon for this channels at our primary resident so they would give me a super-duper discount. Plus, I just love that Xfinity (On Demand) app on my Tivos. C'est la vie

Thanks

Jerry

I'm not sure what happened to the OP, but I've attached a couple redacted billing statements (one recent and one two years old) they can use to seek a better deal from Comcast. I never paid "full price" while I was with Dish, Verizon or Comcast....too many choices, and it doesn't hurt to ask...especially in this economy.

Attachments

• Comcast_Recent_Bill.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 280
  • Comcast_Bill-R.pdf
    125.2 KB · Views: 162
When it comes to programming, figure out which channels you can't live without having and then try to find out which package best suits you for the lowest cost. Look at ALL tv providers available; don't just compare one provider against another.

Hi Scherrman,

Thank you for the good advice, I took it and have used one of your referrals:

HOP154954624

Thanks again

Jerry

Awesome! I appreciate you letting me know. I really think you're going to love it. If you have questions just post it on here and if I can't help I know some one here will be able to. Happy Holidays!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts