What to do with all this old computer stuff

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rvvaquero

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 3, 2012
SE Texas
Throughout the 90's I bought, built, and sold computers and associated equipment, new and used. I got rid of most of it over the years, but still have an annoying amount left.

I know the old motherboards and video cards and such have precious metals in them. I have dozens of old serial, parallel, and centronics cable, some are still in the unopened packaging. Does any of this old stuff have value? Is there a decent way of getting rid of it?

Locally, the only place which will recycle such stuff is Best Buy, and they charge $200 to do so. I'm as environmentally conscious as the average person, but I'm not paying $200 to get rid of old crap I can just put in the trash.

Any ideas? Anyone need any old cables?

Locally, the only place which will recycle such stuff is Best Buy, and they charge $200 to do so...
That's kinda shocking. Around here, our county holds a Cyber Sunday where we can drop off as much computer junk as we want for free. Nowadays, they may have gone to every day of the week for all I know.

Aha. Yes, it's 6 days/week: Electronics | Public Works and Environmental Services Best Buy stores in VA are also supposed to accept this stuff for free. It's the law.

You are in Southeast Texas. I imagine your county or town/city has a recycle program. Where I live, my county has a yearly event in October to recycle old stuff including electronics. Very handy.
Check this web site regarding Texas recycle program. Hopefully, it will help you.

Reactions: rvvaquero
Throughout the 90's I bought, built, and sold computers and associated equipment, new and used. I got rid of most of it over the years, but still have an annoying amount left.

I know the old motherboards and video cards and such have precious metals in them. I have dozens of old serial, parallel, and centronics cable, some are still in the unopened packaging. Does any of this old stuff have value? Is there a decent way of getting rid of it?

Locally, the only place which will recycle such stuff is Best Buy, and they charge $200 to do so. I'm as environmentally conscious as the average person, but I'm not paying $200 to get rid of old crap I can just put in the trash.

Any ideas? Anyone need any old cables?
Do what we do here: Put it out on the curb with a "$200, computer parts!" price on it.

It'll be stolen pretty quick...