What to do with AT-9 if you need more than 6X8

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tampa Satman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 13, 2006
Texas
From what I am seeing with the AT-9 dish and the Zinwell switch there is a limit to 8 outputs.

I have the 3LNB with a 5X16 multiswitch. If D* decides in 6 months to put more HD content I dont what to take one step forward and then two steps back by removing receivers. By going to the AT-9 dish and not having all my receivers hooked up.

With the Zinwell switch I see that the six input ports are labeled for the different sat locations. What are the flexports used for in the solution? When running the coax from the antenna to the switch, is it dependant to match coax from Sat 99-101 to the appropriate input on the switch?

I am getting my local HD content from OTH antenna. I wish D* would focus on putting the national content/cable into HD and not worry about putting local on their birds. A prime example is the NFL network should be in HD on D*! Since D* is the 'offical' provider of Sunday Ticket, provide the best to your subscribers who have D* to watch NFL games.

I would like to make sure I get what I am paying for in the content. I like to stay up on going on with the latest updates and such.

From what I am seeing with the AT-9 dish and the Zinwell switch there is a limit to 8 outputs.

I have the 3LNB with a 5X16 multiswitch. If D* decides in 6 months to put more HD content I dont what to take one step forward and then two steps back by removing receivers. By going to the AT-9 dish and not having all my receivers hooked up.

With the Zinwell switch I see that the six input ports are labeled for the different sat locations. What are the flexports used for in the solution? When running the coax from the antenna to the switch, is it dependant to match coax from Sat 99-101 to the appropriate input on the switch?

I am getting my local HD content from OTH antenna. I wish D* would focus on putting the national content/cable into HD and not worry about putting local on their birds. A prime example is the NFL network should be in HD on D*! Since D* is the 'offical' provider of Sunday Ticket, provide the best to your subscribers who have D* to watch NFL games.

I would like to make sure I get what I am paying for in the content. I like to stay up on going on with the latest updates and such.

The flexports are for adding in other sats not accessible via the Phase III or AT9, namely the 72.5W (smaller markets locals) and 95W (international programming). I have seen on these forums discussion of a Zinwell 6x16 multi-switch, but as I recall, it has been on and off the market, for what reasons, I do not know. Whether it is compatible with the AT9, I do not know. It is not currently listed at solidsignal.com or valueelectonics.com (forum sponsor).

There are a few ways you can get more than eight outputs when you go to the new AT-9 dish.
1) Use a 16-way multiswitch compatible with the AT-9. The WB616 is the new Zinwell 16-way which works with the AT-9, as has been said it seems to be on and off the market but I have seen posts from people who have them.
2) Use broadband splitters, power-passing on both legs, to split each of the four cables coming from the dish and connect the outputs from the splitters to the inputs of two WB68s. For this to work you have to match the outputs so that the outputs from a splitter are connected to the same input on each of the WB68s. It does not matter which input so long as you use the same inputs on each switch.
3) If you only have four or less tuners that need the signals from the new Ka/Ku satellites (the "MPEG-4 satellites)" - remember a DVR has two tuners - you can connect the four cables from the dish to a single WB68, and then take any four outputs from the WB68 and connect them to the inputs of your existing 5x16 multiswitch (I assume it is a powered multiswitch). You will end up with four outputs compatible with the Ka/Ku satellites and 16 outputs for the older three-satellite receivers.

As ramcm7 says, the other two inputs to the WB68 are for international programming, and locals for those whose locals are on the 72.5 satellite.
And your question on cables from the AT-9 dish to the multiswitch - you can connect any cable from the dish to any of the four primary switch inputs (not the flexports) - but of course you must connect all four.

I have attached the diagram on how to use dual power passing splitters and 2 6 x 8WB switches. Hope it helps..

-Str8

Attachments

• 16 way split for AT9.pdf
    620.9 KB · Views: 392
Nicely illustrated Str8, that was my previous config. I now own the WB616 previously mentioned, seems to do the job pretty well (still evaluating the unit). I wanted to condense my wiring and be able to mount in my wire box. I just informed D*TV that I wanted to upgrade to the WB616 and ask if they could provide some financial assistance.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Nice illustrations... now another question.

I assume the illustration applies to early AT-9's (which shipped with external 6x8 multiswitch). I moved recently, the new KaKu dish looks the same but has the 6x8 built-into the LNB head. How would you handle that?

Nice illustrations... now another question.

I assume the illustration applies to early AT-9's (which shipped with external 6x8 multiswitch). I moved recently, the new KaKu dish looks the same but has the 6x8 built-into the LNB head. How would you handle that?

There is not a 6x8 built into the LNB. The new one simply has the "side car" LNBs for 110 and 119 built into one LNB housing with the other 3 and the dish itself is a bit smaller. Other then that it's the same and has 4 outputs which you take to your 6x8 or 6x16 switch.

There is not a 6x8 built into the LNB. The new one simply has the "side car" LNBs for 110 and 119 built into one LNB housing with the other 3 and the dish itself is a bit smaller. Other then that it's the same and has 4 outputs which you take to your 6x8 or 6x16 switch.

Mine is not the slimline. The dish is still a big rectangle. There is no external 6x8, my RG6 feeds directly from the lnb housing. Wouldn't the lnb housing need some kind of multiswitch built-in to provide 4 outputs from 5 lnb's?

Mine is not the slimline. The dish is still a big rectangle. There is no external 6x8, my RG6 feeds directly from the lnb housing. Wouldn't the lnb housing need some kind of multiswitch built-in to provide 4 outputs from 5 lnb's?

Technicaly yes, there is a 4 output multiswitch built into the LNB housing. Thus if all you need is 4 inputs then you can run 4 cables directly from the dish to the receivers. Just like the current Phase III dish. If you need more then 4 tuners then you need the 6x8 or 6x16 Zinwell multiswitch and you run the 4 cables from the dish to the switch first, then run cables from the switch outputs to your receivers.

any truth too what ive been hearing about the at-9 going away and smaller dish taking its place?

The SlimLine as it is called, has been out in some places a few weeks (see the other threads about it) BUT its never been said the dish was going to be remarkably smaller. Just a different configuration of sorts; not as tall, but wider to maintain the same general reflector size. The LNB array is now all in one housing and the dish may come in a bit lighter, but not much. It a cleaner overall look to the eye also.

...and the so-called "slimline" dish that is replacing the AT-9 for new installs is not particularly slim!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.