What to do

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jappleboy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2006
Hi. I have an HR20-100 dvr and a HR22-100 dvr and it is slow. I use the HR22 all the time down in the basement. I forgot to say the HR22 is black and the HR20 is silver. Now is it just me or is the HR22 slower than the HR20. so what to do go with the better looking black dvr that is slow. Or go with the i think faster but older sliver dvr. What would you do.:confused:

I would use the faster one, I am not sure if that is what you are asking though. If there is a problem with the 22, then yes, call D* and ask for a replacement.

Thanks, Now let me ask this. I have called , We have turned things off and reset. The HR22 IS still slow. I see some threads saying the same thing about the HR22 slow.For the ones that have the HR20 and the newer HR22 AND hr23 do you think the HR20 is faster.And on sending the DVR back Direct will give me a rebuilt silver Dvr.

I only have 20s, but I have used all of the different ones. The 20 is the faster model of the HR series for whatever reason. The 22 seems to be on the slower end of the spectrum.

The 20 uses one broadcom chip set and the 21/22/23 use a different one. I know the chipset in the 20 has much faster memory throughput, in fact I think its close to twice as fast. The cpu may be a bit zippier too. Many of the 20's were also built with 7200rpm disk drives while some of the later models used 5400rpm drives.

So the 20's should be the fastest. I dont know whats in the new 24's but IIRC its a faster chipset than the rest including the 20.

Directv is really pushing the box considering what the chipsets they're using were designed for, which is more of a straightforward record-up-to-2-and-playback-1 dvr.

Heck my router could kick the crap out of an HR box with one hand tied behind its back. The broadcom cpu in it is similar in design but twice the clock rate, it has less flash but more ram than an HR...

I can attest that my HR20-700 is faster than the two HR22-100s I have. All are slower than the H20-600 HD receiver I used to have. Also, IMO the HR20 has better PQ than the HR22. I've never seen or used a HR23 so I can't comment on that one.

Well, the 5400's are adequate for dvr usage, and some of the 5400's with higher platter densities than the 7200's can be pretty fast. At least for basic recording and playback.

When you throw in database stuff (like the new smart search), maintaining to-do lists, vod, mrv, yada yada yada...you need all the response time and throughput you can get.

The 5400 does often throw less heat and less noise.

I think the expectations of the platform have changed significantly. When the directv dvr line first came around directv was co-selling tivo's and they probably envisioned the directv dvr's as a lower end product that would be inexpensive to make and maintain, and compete with the cable company dvr's which are still pretty low end. Then use the tivo product for people wanting more. Then of course they had to piss each other off and hold their breath a long time before (maybe) doing business with each other again. In the meanwhile, the developers at directv had to make do with what they had deployed and try to feature match the higher end dvr products.

Quite a balancing act. I didnt like a lot of the growing pains, but they've done a lot.

Well, the 5400's are adequate for dvr usage, and some of the 5400's with higher platter densities than the 7200's can be pretty fast. At least for basic recording and playback.

When you throw in database stuff (like the new smart search), maintaining to-do lists, vod, mrv, yada yada yada...you need all the response time and throughput you can get.

I think the expectations of the platform have changed significantly. When the directv dvr line first came around directv was co-selling tivo's and they probably envisioned the directv dvr's as a lower end product that would be inexpensive to make and maintain, and compete with the cable company dvr's which are still pretty low end. Then use the tivo product for people wanting more. Then of course they had to piss each other off and hold their breath a long time before (maybe) doing business with each other again. In the meanwhile, the developers at directv had to make do with what they had deployed and try to feature match the higher end dvr products.

Quite a balancing act. I didnt like a lot of the growing pains, but they've done a lot.

This post was so good it had to be posted twice. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)