what to get?

Medsport

Original poster
Mar 5, 2013
United States
Hey guys, I need to cut some expenses and have been thinking of getting a streaming player like the Roku for some time now. I currently have Time Warner with the bundle of phone, internet and tv. I usually call them up to get the latest package when the rates go up, but they recently stopped working with me much. I don't watch that much tv anyway so I'm thinking of dropping them. I could get along with just TNT, AMC and USA mostly. I've been streaming a lot of shows on the computer recently also. I was about to get the Roku, but noticed my local Meijer had a Sony hi fi blue ray player on sale for less than the Roku. My DVD player is getting old and I've never had a blue ray player or stream player. I know you can do more with the Roku, but not sure how good the blue ray player is? I'll also considering going back to dish as I had it years ago or possibly direct, but don't want to be locked into a 2 year agreement. The first year isn't bad but it goes up about double the second, although it looks like dish has a basic service for about $20 now, but you don't get AMC on it. What do you guys think is the best solution for my circumstances? I'm leaning towards the Roku, but not sure if I will be able to get used to no "live" tv. I guess its cheap enough that I could try it a couple months and then go back to one of the cable places or something.

The Roku players tend to have more available "channels" available (sources) vs a streamer built into other video players. Been around quite some time, reliable, easy to use and live-with. If you've got broadband, ROKU can fill quite a void in programming with a simple netflix inexpensive subscription, or other services. Crackle's free, but they're not good at inserting commercials properly. Plenty of "free" content out there. I'm a big fan of the TWIT network of tech reports, and enjoy having them on my TV via roku. One can also subscribe to MLB if baseball's your thing, and other services. Overall? Roku's quite good. The SONY streaming box has some additional options, but in my opinion has much smaller and less-user friendly interfaces for their channels.

Also Roku now has TWC app but you at least need standard service and internet. Not sure if that would help you unless you have a top tier with TWC now. You might save a few bucks. Also I-heart and Pandora radio is on Roku and lots of free apps. You can add games etc...as well. The pay apps aren't expensive either...Angry Birds etc..If you're somewhere where you can get the locals over the air...maybe put up an antenna too...I watch a lot of the network shows later when I want on the network websites...Just some ideas

Hmmm. I find the Roku sitting idle most of the time. I grew tired of TED talks and videos of has cheezburger after awhile. IMHO, Roku and other streaming apps are not there yet in providing mainstream content. The best stuff is generally available as apps on most BluRay players, TIVO boxes and even some TVs. For example, I can watch Netflix on 7 different devices in my home setup (3 BluRay players, TIVO, XBOX, Wii and Roku)

So which device do you tend to use more jayn? I wish I could try a couple out for awhile before deciding. I heard the TiVo was decent too, but I believe you have to pay a small fee every month for that.

The TIVO costs either monthly (about $14) or a big lifetime fee ($400) I got hooked on DVR functionality and this is by far the best solution OTA.

Each one has advantages and disadvantages. The TIVO one has best integration, but has fewer services. For example, no Amazon Instant streaming. Also no 5 chan audio on Netflix. I find the Panasonic app pretty good for a bedroom TV. Roku has the most services, but you find yourself switching it in and out in order to watch broadcast. Same with XBOX which has a surprisingly good interface, lots of services and better audio and video. Plus you can play games. But it isn't a DVR and you need to switch to get broadcast.

I still don't know what to get. I'm thinking maybe just go back to dish since they have a special of $20 a month right now for the basic package or 25 for the top 120. There is one supplier that gives you 100 back and Direct 200, but they are more expensive. The only thing I don't like is the idea of being looked into it for 2 years. I'm not sure what the price goes to the 2nd year for sure either, it sounds like it goes up about 25/m. But it does sound like they give you a DVR, but I bet they make you pay a small lease fee. btw, anyone know if they can reuse the old dish or at least the base as I have their and and old Primestar dish that I'm not sure how to get rid of and don't want a 3rd in my backyard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts