What to look for in a newer FTA receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chuckinnc

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Western,NC
I am using a old Coolsat 5000 with WS-90 dish stock lnb setup. I have it set to 97 - g19, but thinking of adding a
dish motor and maybe a new receiver like the one recently reviewed - Geopro microHD.
My main question is, what do the new receivers pick up that my old mpeg2 receiver won't?
Also should I upgrade the 8yr old stock LNB with a newer one? If so which one should I look for?

I am using a old Coolsat 5000 with WS-90 dish stock lnb setup. I have it set to 97 - g19, but thinking of adding a
dish motor and maybe a new receiver like the one recently reviewed - Geopro microHD.
My main question is, what do the new receivers pick up that my old mpeg2 receiver won't?
Also should I upgrade the 8yr old stock LNB with a newer one? If so which one should I look for?

Your receiver is DVB only and many channels have switched or are soon switching to DVB-S2. Since you are considering adding a motor, look through the KU channels at http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html and you will find that anything listed as DVB-S2 will not be receivable with your current receiver. Although I don't have one myself I've heard the MicroHD is a very good receiver. There are now PLL lnbs which are much better at locking signals (especially marginal ones) than the older DRO lnbs. You might try the Maverick MK1-PLL ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/KU-BAND-PLL-LNBF-Free-To-Air-Standard-Linear-FTA-LNBF-/181269477814). :)

If you do add a motor definitely update the receiver.
otherwise missing - mpeg4 (H264), DVB-S2 transmissions, AAC audio etc, etc.
LNBF - good practice to have a spare.

LNBF - good practice to have a spare.
Spare LNBF, spare receiver, spare switches, it does not hurt to have all of these.
Its nice to have the parts to be able to swap out any part of the system if having issues.

Reactions: FaT Air
maybe a new receiver like the one recently reviewed - Geopro microHD.

The micro hd is a good receiver and depending on what your watching the Amiko A3 has some guide info that is downloaded into the receivers every few days but the channels are limited from what I have heard.
So if your sticking with 97 W either of these 2 receivers will do you an excellent job.
If I am not mistaken the A3 has a slot to place an internal hard drive if you wanted to.
Both receivers have good reviews and track records.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts