What to say to CSR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tase2

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
I know there are many posts with many conflicting opinions, but my OTA is working like s**t. I can't get NASCAR in HD. I have gone the waiver route and was granted ABC-which is the only network I can get with OTA 100% the time.

I have spent so much $$ on my HR10-250, and my HD package and not to mention the HD Ready TV, that I feel that D* should be able to accommodate me and flick 3 little switches.

So if I were to call D* right now-which CSR should I ask for and what can I say that would give me the best chance of getting the other 3 networks?

How far are you from the networks? I'm 28 miles from them and I'm using a $10 pair of rabbit ears and I'm receiving all channels except CBS (impossible to get that station anyway). Have you tried other antennas?

The problem with yelling at D* about this, is that I don't think they'll be able to do much for you. I have read threads about people who have recently had them turned on without waivers, but I didn't get the background behind it all... There could be other circumstances behind it, etc...

You can call, and politely ask, but with the new laws recently passed, it might be a losing battle. :(

By law, D* cannot give you those distant HD networks without a waiver from the local stations. You can always request a signal test with your local stations.

I, too, cannot receive much with the wineguard antenna that D* installed on my roof. We've tried rotating it but nothing helps.

I have a 15 year old set of rabbit ears that sit on top of my TV that I use, and they work great. I'm about 1/2 way in between Cincinnati and Dayton, and I can receive all of the Cincinnati and Dayton stations with the exception of WCPO which broadcasts VHF...

I'm in the same boat. Called in a thousand times. Talked to all my local stations. Been nice, been mean, been stupid, been smart, and still nothing but ABC in HD. Then after all this my neighbor signs up for D* and gets 3 (Fox, ABC, NBC) right off the bat without a single waiver, and boy does this make it more disappointing. So geez I believe we are fighting a losing battle. You just have to get lucky and get the CSR that doesn't know. I believe thats the only way your gonna get them.

I had the same problem with my Samsung T360 receiver & local HD OTA.... only a few HD locals would come in and then they would be weak signals or none at all. D* told me they don't support local OTA service (even though they installed the rooftop antenna). It wasn't until my HD receiver took a dump and I got an H10 that I realized that the receiver was bad the whole time. Now all of my local HD channels come in. I'm getting the occasional black-out with the H-10 but I understand that there will be a software upgrade to fix this. This may or may not be the problem but it's worth looking into.

Just tell them you want to change your service address but keep your current billing address. Give them a service address within the area that you want receive HD Locals. I live near Minneapolis/St. Paul and can get CBS, NBC and Fox in HD Because they are owned and operated stations.

Joewee said:
Just tell them you want to change your service address but keep your current billing address. Give them a service address within the area that you want receive HD Locals. I live near Minneapolis/St. Paul and can get CBS, NBC and Fox in HD Because they are owned and operated stations.

Yep, you go ahead and do that. Just realize that, if you're caught doing this, you'll not only lose your DirecTV service, you'll also likely have a lawsuit slapped on you.

You won't get caught. Everyone " Moves" to get the locals they want. The law says the satellite companies can not "Knowingly" sell you locals outside of your dma. The key is not to tell them the truth. Both satellite companies want to sell you the locals. They are aware this is going on they just don't want you to tell them the truth. It is a lot like "Don't ask /Don't tell" policy of the army in reference to gays . Now if you need a tech to come out , or a receiver sent to your address under the home protection plan, you will have to "move" back to your real address to receive the service or tech and so you won't get caught. With Dish I use a local tech in my area for any problems with my dish or adding another line etc. When I send a receiver back under the home protection plan , I always say ; " Send it to my Billing address, Not my service address." I verify that they are going to send it there and I have had no problems with it in the 3 or 4 years I 've been doing it.

MikeD-C05 said:
You won't get caught. Everyone " Moves" to get the locals they want. The law says the satellite companies can not "Knowingly" sell you locals outside of your dma. The key is not to tell them the truth. Both satellite companies want to sell you the locals. They are aware this is going on they just don't want you to tell them the truth. It is a lot like "Don't ask /Don't tell" policy of the army in reference to gays . Now if you need a tech to come out , or a receiver sent to your address under the home protection plan, you will have to "move" back to your real address to receive the service or tech and so you won't get caught. With Dish I use a local tech in my area for any problems with my dish or adding another line etc. When I send a receiver back under the home protection plan , I always say ; " Send it to my Billing address, Not my service address." I verify that they are going to send it there and I have had no problems with it in the 3 or 4 years I 've been doing it.

So what we need is to know what address that will enable us to get, let's say, eastern HD networks. If I just give them
"any" address, I risk not getting any HD or SD because of proximity. Any ideas on an address I can use so i can get the big 3 in HD?

I "lived" at a 7/11 in Detroit for almost 3 years due to my area being Pegasus. DirecTV doesnt give a sh*t. Some people call it stealing but the rules for satellite suck so much compared to cable that I personally did not care. Cable systems in between dma's here get locals from both dma's while with satellite you are screwed and cannot get squat and have to use OTA.

Cable has more lobbyists in their pocket and it shows.

scooby2 said:
I "lived" at a 7/11 in Detroit for almost 3 years due to my area being Pegasus. DirecTV doesnt give a sh*t. Some people call it stealing but the rules for satellite suck so much compared to cable that I personally did not care. Cable systems in between dma's here get locals from both dma's while with satellite you are screwed and cannot get squat and have to use OTA.

Cable has more lobbyists in their pocket and it shows.

I thought the US Govt SHIVA Act mandated that Aug 25, 2005 was the deadline for cutoff? Guess not. Looks like D* is making up rules as they go. If it WAS US mandated you could be sure that the deadline would be enforced.

Things get held up by motions, appeals and injunctions all the time; DirecTV nor Dish are making up any rules. They just play one legal maneuver at a time to keep what they can as long as they can hoping rules change for the better or bad rules get tossed out. Geez, the conspiracy theories kill me.

100144618 said:
Yep, you go ahead and do that. Just realize that, if you're caught doing this, you'll not only lose your DirecTV service, you'll also likely have a lawsuit slapped on you.

Hahaha, this is such a CSR answer.

dgordo said:
Hahaha, this is such a CSR answer.

That it is. I'm not telling an untruth, just throwing out what I figured to be a handy piece of advice. ;)

By all means, if you can get DTV service, then go for it. I was just giving another piece of information I thought he could use.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts