What TV to buy?

touchton

Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
I'm in the market for a new TV. Currently, I have 3 standard definition CRT type TVs with DishNetwork service (2 508's and one 301). The TV I'm going to replace is the one in the den that's most used. The others are in bedrooms.

I want HD, 1080p with at least 2 HDMI inputs, and a 50" (+/-) screen. I plan to upgrade my DishNetwork service and drive this TV with a ViP622. I'm also going to purchase a PS3 for gaming and viewing Blu-ray disks.

I don't think I want plasma, not sure you can get a plasma that supports 1080p anyway. I looked at an LCD last night (Samsung) that looks pretty good. And the DLP's look good as well. I've had good luck with Sony's over the years, so they would be toward the top of my list.

One thing I would like to do with the ViP622 is use both tuners for this TV. I would like to split the screen and view two football games at the same time. Is this doable?

Another concern is how do the different models handle 'up-converting' a standard signal to an HD display? I'll still be watching some SD stuff. Do different models do this better than others?

So, which technology, LCD or DLP, would be best for my needs? What are some good manufactures/models for me to consider? Who should I avoid?

Thanks.
Thad

Actually, your "doable" question leads to my recommendation below. Yes, doable.

If you would consider an RPTV, look at the JVC DiLA series. I have a 61" 720p model that I'm very happy with. There are now 1080p models in the 52" 56" 61" and 70" sizes. I believe they all come with 2 HDMIs and have their own PIP. Plus, the new ViP622 side by side PIP seems to be what you want. Look here.

These are LCoS units. It is a reflective technology, so the fill factor is much higher than with LCD (little or no screen door effect, especially at 1080p). And the blacks are better than LCD. Best prices may be from online retailers.

DLPs are nice, but the color wheels are a moving part and at least the early ones from Samsung had some problems. Some people see rainbows or get headaches with DLPs, and sometimes this sensitivity only develops later. That being said, it's only a small percentage of people that are affected- but I thought you should be aware. And new units are coming without color wheels.

Thanks BFG and navychop. I hadn't considered JVC. Looking at their site, I'm interested in the HD-56xx97 models. There are three different versions of that model (FB, FN, and FH). The only difference I noticed was some of the inputs. The FN added a couple of Firewire ports and the FH added an RS232 port. What is the purpose of the RS232 port on a TV? Or, Firewire for that matter? I guess you could stream video via Firewire, but RS232...... Do you know what the difference in the three models are?

I've heard about the headaches with DLP. That is a concern. So, the LCoS technology is attractive. The Sony model BFG suggested is LCoS as well, isn't it?

The side-by-side PIP you describe; is that a function of the ViP622 or a function of the TV? I didn't see anything about PIP on the JVC models.

Thad

I am not familiar with the differences between the models- I stopped following closely when I got mine. But there are postings at AVS Forum about them.

The Sony also is a variant on LCoS. But they seem to have had more problems than JVC, oddly enough. Green blob, IIRC. More on that at AVS.

Both.

OK, I've got a good grip on my wallet- how much?

The ones I mentioned are in the $2,000 range.

New HDRPTV's are illuminated with a light bulb that last 3000 hours then they need to be replaced.For the biggest screen & the cheapest price check out the CRTHDRPTV's they are powered with 3 light guns that will last 10 or 12 years.While LCD flat screens are more energy efficient than plasma they can have a problem with the color black also a problem showing fast motion.Also LCD flat screens are still more expensive than plasma's for the larger sizes.If you decide to go with the flat screens LCD or plasmas stay with name brands for the best results.Thru Consumer Reports right now the Panasonic plasma HDTV's are highly recommended.Good Luck!:welcome

Look around. See many CRT RPTVs for sale? Think there's a reason for that? Other than conspiracy theories?

There are plenty of postings, here and in other forums, about the pros and cons of CRT RPTVs. Regardless of where you stand, they are dinosaurs and are almost completely off the market. Would you buy an 8 track or record player today? How will you feel about that CRT RPTV in 5 years?

Yep, my replacement bulb will cost me about $250. And then the set is as good as new. CRT tubes lose brightness at a steady rate. And if you "do it right" to get that "super PQ" you will do regular maintenance, cleanings and adjustments. Paying for a professional to calibrate your set is a lot more than the cost of a bulb. CRT alignment drifts with time, etc, meaning regular work is needed. What does your wife or SO think of that several hundred pound monster taking up space?

And BTW, there are 70" microdisplay RPTVs, and front projectors that project images measured in FEET, so CRT RPTVs do not have the largest screens.

As the Home Theater Technologies Editor here I can tell you that we have a JVC HD-ILA as our main display at home. FWIW

Look around. See many CRT RPTVs for sale? Think there's a reason for that? Other than conspiracy theories?

There are plenty of postings, here and in other forums, about the pros and cons of CRT RPTVs. Regardless of where you stand, they are dinosaurs and are almost completely off the market. Would you buy an 8 track or record player today? How will you feel about that CRT RPTV in 5 years?

Yep, my replacement bulb will cost me about $250. And then the set is as good as new. CRT tubes lose brightness at a steady rate. And if you "do it right" to get that "super PQ" you will do regular maintenance, cleanings and adjustments. Paying for a professional to calibrate your set is a lot more than the cost of a bulb. CRT alignment drifts with time, etc, meaning regular work is needed. What does your wife or SO think of that several hundred pound monster taking up space?

And BTW, there are 70" microdisplay RPTVs, and front projectors that project images measured in FEET, so CRT RPTVs do not have the largest screens.

Yes I mistyped should have stated for a large screen with a cheap price.I will feel pretty good and so does my spouse we like the 4:3 50" RPTV better than the Widescreen models.Our area is pretty low income to replace the coolant in the guns/clean the inside also the mirror/readjust the settings&picture he charged $300 which I thought was not too bad.It's been 3 years since adjustment have not had alignment problems yet.My SO likes it because we can place our VCR/DVD/satellite receiver on top to keep it away from the grandkids.
My post was only for information.different strokes for different folks and if when the time comes to replace our TV we will still go with a CRT RPTV cause you just cannot beat the price.:)

My post was only for information.different strokes for different folks and if when the time comes to replace our TV we will still go with a CRT RPTV cause you just cannot beat the price.:)

Better hurry By 2008 no one will make them anymore..Does anyone make them for 2007??

I have a new 61inch JVC HD-ILA It has an absoulutely stunning picture and mutliple inputs. I shopped around and found it on the Internet for $2065 with free shipping, took that to Best buy and they matched it, which was $500 cheaper than their current price.

I have a 26in JVC LCD, 37in Sharp LCD, 2 17in AOC LCD's, 34in RCA CRT and the 61in JVC. All have excellent pictures, I would say the Sharp is tops, then the 27in JVC and 61in JVC are pretty close, but all very good.

The AOC's have a great picture in HD and are wonderful PC monitors for the kids, especially for what I paid for them.

As the Home Theater Technologies Editor here I can tell you that we have a JVC HD-ILA as our main display at home. FWIW

2 things worry me about the JVC:

1) The crippled VGA port, which as an xbox 360 owner, is a BIG loss
2) The possibility of convergence issues

It's a great set, and near the top of my list (especially with the slimmer ones coming!), but it may lose out on those 2

2 things worry me about the JVC:

1) The crippled VGA port, which as an xbox 360 owner, is a BIG loss
2) The possibility of convergence issues

It's a great set, and near the top of my list (especially with the slimmer ones coming!), but it may lose out on those 2

What "crippled VGA port?" Mine works fine with my laptop.

Convergence? That's a CRT worry. With 3 microchips in fixed position and no electron beam, what you see on day one is what you see forever after- barring physical damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)