What was or is the most stable receiver?

DishDave

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 16, 2003
Got into a discussion with a friend of mine today about Dishnetworks receivers and the stabilty of them. He says the 721 was the most stable one out there. And i said the 508 was. What do you consider the most stable receiver put out by Dish was ?

Probably my 301, this 811 is simply a POS, last nite (watching the last 10 min of Hells Kitchen OTA), box went black, rebooted, ok, took about 5 min, then after all that, it did it right again, does that alot, but not really much to do! But my 301's here = the most reliable, never any problems, probably as there a "simple" box (though still complicated!)

The original 4000 is bulletproof. I retired mine from service less than 2 years ago. I had it since 97 and in all those years, I think I had to do a card reset less than 5 times. I have a buddy I talked into Dish back in 98 and he still uses his 4000. I've had a couple of JVC brand 3000 series (3700s) and they were solid. I have a couple of 301s and they are solid as well. I have 2 811s and they for the most part are a notch less stable, especially the one connected to the OTA. The one connected to the satellite only hasn't given me any trouble in the months I've had it.

DishDave said:
Got into a discussion with a friend of mine today about Dishnetworks receivers and the stabilty of them. He says the 721 was the most stable one out there. And i said the 508 was. What do you consider the most stable receiver put out by Dish was ?
Did you post something? I can't ever get past your avatar. :D

I had a 4000 for 4 years and it never had a problem.

My 4700 that was software upgraded to a 4900 was also excellent.

And I agree that the 508 & 510 were very good.

As to the claim that the 721 was the most reliable ever, that is crazy. It took Dish about two years to work the bugs out of that unit.

Recent models I would vote for the 301 overall the 3000 or 4000 basically the same receivers have lasted a long time with few problems.

I would definitely not call the 721 the most reliable. You are off your rocker if you say that. I still have times where I have to reboot the dang thing but its better than it used to be. The 522/625 seems to be the most stable SD DVR yet software and hardware wise. As for the standard receiver I have seen a lot of hardware issues with the 301/311 receivers as of lately identifying all three satellites (wants to only show even or odd one the third satellite). Some of the legacy receivers (3700/3900) were wanting to do this as well but mainly in the 301's. I have not seen a whole lot of issues with the 111's although there are not a whole lot out there.

I'd have to say that the 522/625 is the most stable with the DVR and the 2700/3700/3900/4900 is the most stable in the standard receiver. I may be saying that because there are not nearly as many of these out there so that may be why we see more 301/311 receivers fail since there are so many more out there.

The 721 is still a fine unit and is fine most of the time.

Dish 2000 (10 years ago!) had no problems, but it was a long time ago, and the receivers I got over the years seem to get worse until I replaced my 6000 with the 811. I like my DVR 942, but the last firmware update now causes occasional frozen video while the audio goes on.

Iceberg said:
my 5000 lasted 5 years....slow as dirt but damn it was a good box. Even had a OTA tuner built in :)
I agree completely. Got two in the basement with two 508's gathering dust. Come to think of it, the 508's were stable also. :)

I currently use both a 508 and 721. 508 is by far the more stable unit, despite Dish's attempts to screw it up. :) The 721 needs an average of 2 reboots a week to stay happy, while the 508 needs one perhaps once every other month.

SaltiDawg said:
I agree completely. Got two in the basement with two 508's gathering dust. Come to think of it, the 508's were stable also. :)
Did you use the 5000 for HD. Mine was fine for SD but very eratic for HD.

My 6000's were much better (althought I had one failure that required replacement).

My 921's were decent but subject to many of the famous problems. My 622's are pretty reliable except I have had 3 complete freezes on the older one which required a reboot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)