What will happen to Directv going forward

ALL the satellites that can be considered Directv's "core fleet" at 99/101/103 (i.e. not including those that will be retired or essentially become spares, which is to say D11/D12/D14/D15/T16) should be good until around 2030 or so. They typically have a "design life" of 15 years but routinely exceed that and tend to be limited more by fuel life which usually lasts for at least 20 years.

Reactions: krynn and Jimbo
for the sports nuts i don't know of anyone other than DTV that has all of the sporting packages like DTV!!!

Sports are going streaming. All major leagues and college conferences except the NFL have an out-of-market streaming service. In market for the most part is available through cable. Directv sports pack was never worth the cost with blackout rules.

Now, the strongest argument is about internet service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: krynn
I remember when the space shuttle first launched and it had all of these fancy new advanced computers. It wasn't long before astronauts were packing laptops to use on the shuttle, because the laptps were faster than the computer systems integrated into the shuttle, but it was too expensive to rip those out and replace them every 12 months.
I thought the issue with replacing the built in computers was flight certification. It's not an easy process to get anything approved for military systems, flight systems more so.

That would be computers based around the Zilog Z80 microprocessor, first generation only, circa 1976 or so. No newer Z80 dies were deemed acceptable throughout the entire history of the shuttle program, due to validation rules.

This was strictly for the critical onboard mission control systems. That would be analogous to the Powertrain Control Module under the hood in current automobiles, but not all the additional computers and Android tablets in the car cabin.

Newer computers were implemented in non-mission-critical areas of the shuttle though, including a Pentium-class processor for heads-up display.

Sports are going streaming. All major leagues and college conferences except the NFL have an out-of-market streaming service. In market for the most part is available through cable. Directv sports pack was never worth the cost with blackout rules.

Now, the strongest argument is about internet service.

Excuse me ?

So, your saying I now have to have a Streaming service AND Cable to watch my teams ?

Folks would be astonished to know what hardened Z80s were used for, and for how long.

Excuse me ?

So, your saying I now have to have a Streaming service AND Cable to watch my teams ?

My understanding is that In-market, it’s normally the RSN. That is usually available through linear services like cable, sat, or You Tube TV. Some teams are carried locally OTA.

Out-of-market is the out-of-market package, which is available through cable or streaming. Costs seem to be the same either way. The only out-of-market that isn’t available streaming is NFL.

There are some weird things for people that don’t get the right RSN on their cable system for local teams, but live too close for the out of market package. An example would be Dayton, they have to buy FloFC for FC Cincinnati, and some don’t get the right RSN for the Crew. They’re like 50 miles from both. In Cincinnati, I can get FC Cincinnati OTA and Crew on ESPN+, the MLS’s out-of-market package.

I’ll add a weird twist... FloFC has the in-market FC Cincinnati streaming rights. The games are shown in-market OTA on Star64. You Tube TV carries Star64, but the games are blacked out on Star64 streaming on YTTV - Star64/YTTV doesn’t have the in-market streaming rights.

Bottom line, if you are over 75 miles (but that’s by zip code so some people over 75 miles are still in the local zone), you get the out-of-market package and watch your team. Inside that, find the local provider.

If I sub to the MLB EI package and don't watch Any ot the teams INSIDE my RSN, can I turn off my RSN Fee and just pay for the MLB package ?

I also don't watch any of my Local RSN teams for Football, or any sport for that matter.

The Only time I end up using my local RSN is when my teams are playing a team that is in my local RSN ....

Wishful thinking, right ?

Reactions: krynn
Too bad. It was an okay 23-year marriage. Then she started fooling around and I left. Still miss her, but YTTV is okay, much cheaper, and stays up with me through hurricanes.

Too bad. It was an okay 23-year marriage. Then she started fooling around and I left. Still miss her, but YTTV is okay, much cheaper, and stays up with me through hurricanes.
Really ?
Don't you need Electric and your Internet feed to get your YTTV ....

Personally, if I need Internet to watch TV, that sucks ...
That just means my Internet will end up going sky high because they know your needed to do other things.

Streaming is an add on to my TV experience ... I don't rely on it.
Everyone needs Electricity so that was a bad example ...

TV, I can throw a piece of wire on the TV and at least have TV.
I'm not getting stuck where I NEED internet to get TV.
Thats just ASKING for price gouging ...

Personally, if I need Internet to watch TV, that sucks ...
That just means my Internet will end up going sky high because they know your needed to do other things.

Everyone needs Electricity so that was a bad example ...

TV, I can throw a piece of wire on the TV and at least have TV.
I'm not getting stuck where I NEED internet to get TV.
Thats just ASKING for price gouging ...
This is why internet needs to be classified as a public utility and price regulated just like POTS was. City mouse and country mouse always paid around the same price for POTS (and thus dial up internet).

IMO everyone in the US should get access to unlimited 25mbps/25mbps internet at $20 a month and 100/100 for $40/mo.

Reactions: AZ.
This is why internet needs to be classified as a public utility and price regulated just like POTS was. City mouse and country mouse always paid around the same price for POTS (and thus dial up internet).

IMO everyone in the US should get access to unlimited 25mbps/25mbps internet at $20 a month and 100/100 for $40/mo.
I'll pay $40 for 100 mg ... they want $80 for 100 at the moment where I'm at.
Plus FEES and taxes.
Need to get rid of the Fees ... thats just a way for them to create more BS money.

They charge me $10 a month for a modem that was FREE when I signed up for it and its now 10 years old and I'm still paying for it.

I'll pay $40 for 100 mg ... they want $80 for 100 at the moment where I'm at.
Plus FEES and taxes.
Need to get rid of the Fees ... thats just a way for them to create more BS money.

They charge me $10 a month for a modem that was FREE when I signed up for it and its now 10 years old and I'm still paying for it.
If it's cable or standard ADSL2 based just buy your own modem. Only time you "need" a ISP modem is with authenticated VDSL and fiber.

Imagine a company where 16 million clients aren't considered a viable customer base. :rolleyes:

Yes, DTV lost some customers but certainly not enough to throw in the towel. The fact is AT&T bought a company they haven't got a clue how to run so in their corporate incompetence they've convinced themselves they can convert all those people over to a cable style streaming service, with all the associated cable type customer costs. How sad. I just wonder at what point the stock holders insurrection will hold forth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)