what will happen?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvwatchingdude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
I have a question about all the fta channels on 123w. I mean lots of them are FOX, and univision, and abc. What will happen when tv switches over to digital in February 2009? Will these channels be removed from 123w?

nope.

And in 09 they don't have to go HD. They just have to go digital. A fair amount of the Equity channels have a digital counterpart already but a lot of their stations are classified as low powered and they DO NOT need to change to digital 2/17/09

Yes, in fact, I am surprised that broadcasters haven't done more to push FTA as a solution to "go digital" for those OTA users that will lose analog. FTA can provide better reception, over a wider area, with a wider variety of programming. OTA would only beat FTA for those who live in "Grade A" OTA reception areas, in large markets with lots of channels and subchannels on the air.

The one broadcaster that has, to some extent, is TBN. They probably promote FTA as a solution to receive their entire digital suite of networks just as much as OTA digital. (Although now that the Digital Transition is upon us, OTA is certainly getting top billing.)

The digital transition in '09 affects ONLY OTA (Over The Air) terrestrial signals. Nothing on satellite should be affected in any way by this.

It also does not affect cable television. If your cable company offers analog cable, it won't go away because of the 2009 DTV transition (although I expect most cable companies will start getting rid of their analog tier to free up more HD bandwidth in their pipe)...

The affect it will have on OTA is there will be no more analog (except for low power stations).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts