What will my HR10-250 get with the HD access?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jquaglino

Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
What will happen to HD viewing on the HR10-250 now that it looks like DirecTV plans to only include the HD simulcasts of the equivalent SD channels with the HD access ($9.99) and is putting HDNet, HDMovies, UHD out into the HD Extra tier ($4.99)? Will my legacy receiver still get HDNet, etc. with my $9.99 fee?

at some point in time next year, those mpeg2 channels will be history. my best educated guess is after quarter 2.

As to your question about the fees, it's my understanding that you'll be "grandfathered" and be able to keep your existing channels for $9.99 until the MPEG2's disappear, because you have the old equipment.

There's been some confusion on that, though, so you might want to try to get confirmation...

at some point in time next year, those mpeg2 channels will be history. my best educated guess is after quarter 2.

Great. Nice way for DTV to f^ck over longterm customers. Hi, guys, we know you have a great tivo-based DVR, but now you must take our poorly made DVR and use MPEG4. :(

Great. Nice way for DTV to f^ck over longterm customers. Hi, guys, we know you have a great tivo-based DVR, but now you must take our poorly made DVR and use MPEG4. :(

Since it's ultimately the content that's important, and the quality of that content, and the new technology (MPEG4) provides better quality and the capability for more content, it seems like more than a fair trade to me.

In a perfect world, we'd get both, but if I have to choose one or the other, I'll take the content and a DVR that works better than any I've had with cable (even if it's not perfect) than the best DVR in the world, fewer HD channels and poorer PQ.

If you own the older HD equipment like Hughes HIRD-E89,H10,HR10,etc units you should start looking into upgrading to the 5Beam dish and new HD units like H20,H21(standard),HR20,HR21(DVR) .

Matt

If you own the older HD equipment like Hughes HIRD-E89,H10,HR10,etc units you should start looking into upgrading to the 5Beam dish and new HD units like H20,H21(standard),HR20,HR21(DVR) .

Matt

And if you get a hold of retention, they'll give you the new stuff for free if you push them a little... as long as you're willing to sign a new contract and/or buy Sunday Ticket.

Matt

Just called DTV said I can get the HR20 for $200 plus $5 a month. Hmmm...gee...that's not a good deal. Own an HR10-250 and lease another one for $5 a month. You'd think they would upgrade me for free on one of them (continue to pay lease fees).

I personally had to go with the $99 upgrade for a H20 and add back to the slimline dish my not so old R10 DVR TiVo cause money has been tight around here.

I really wanted the HR20 DVR.

It must really bite that you paid $700-$1000 for the HR10-250 and now it's going the way of the Beta-Max.:mad:

Matt

I just got my second HR20 and deactivated the HR10-250 as its useless to me now. All that its going to be good for is extra hard drive space for recording SD content. If you call retension and speak with a female you should have good luck and most likely will not have to pay anything. For some reason males arent willing to give things away to their valued customers like females do.

I've actually got two HR20s and one HR10-250. They are all leased. I'm just wondering what DirecTV will do with my leased HR10. If it will not do the same HD it has been doing for two years, I want and expect a free upgrade.

i got a new hr-20-700 for free when i called and complained about how much $ i spent on my tivo 250 also. keep trying. good news is the new hd dvr works great now with all the updates

Well Im getting the run around.

Called D* to let Movers Connection add new equipment to my new house as well as upgrade from the HR10-250. After waiting 2 weeks at new house to get D* (installers are backed up). I get an H-20 with no DVR. Called and complained and was told that the DVR I have HR10-250 is capable of gettig the new HD channels. :confused: Really I was told by D* and the folks here that this was impossible. Next Im told they do not have the HR10-250 on my account. :confused: . Well I have had it about a year and all the sudden nothing. After reading off the model, serial, and reciever numbers I am told that the model number changed to HR2700? Whatever....

So here the thing. How am I gonna convinced them to send me one and not charge me?

I've actually got two HR20s and one HR10-250. They are all leased. I'm just wondering what DirecTV will do with my leased HR10. If it will not do the same HD it has been doing for two years, I want and expect a free upgrade.

D* offered me a free swap of the HR10-250 to the HR20 or HR21 with an upgrade of the dish to the 5lnb. No charge (or so they said). They volunteered all this (literally called me at home to say they wanted to come out and do it for free). Haven't done it yet because the 5lnb is a much larger dish and creates some install problems for me.

Finally got them to replace my one 10-250 for an HR20-700. I'll still have my second 10-250 in the bedroom. That will work right? Or do I need to swap that one out too?

Finally got them to replace my one 10-250 for an HR20-700. I'll still have my second 10-250 in the bedroom. That will work right? Or do I need to swap that one out too?

It'll work as long as you don't want the new HD channels (or eventually, any HD channels) on it.

It seems to be that there has been an abundance of notice about the changes coming. Companies change equipment all the time. It's disturbinmg to hear people constantly complain about this and the HR-20. If you don't want it, don't getone. If you do want the new channels, then get it. At least, with a little perseverance, you can get a great deal on the new DVR.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts