What will you do when Voom goes under?

zubinh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
Long Island, NY
Just curious what the general consensus is. I think most people can agree that Voom's days are numbered. Even Voom themselves state that without a significant increase in subscribers they will shut down.

Lets say a year from now your Voom screen goes blank. Which DBS provider would you move to?

You forgot one more... How about whomever gives me the best programming available. It is hard to say who will these days.

Voted "other" because , at least immediately, I would just save the money and watch OTA and rent/buy DVD's. During that time, however, I'd be checking out the other providers to see if anyone had anything I'd be interested in - all this after a suitable mourning period in which I lay in the fetal position crying uncontrollably, of course.

Sean Mota said:
You forgot one more... How about whomever gives me the best programming available. It is hard to say who will these days.
That's my vote. Today, if VOOM goes away the answer would be COMCAST (13 uncompressed HD channels and rumors of HDNet being added). I don't care about D* promises of tons of HD-Lite.

I don't like the question although I understand the high anxiety of the issue. I have to agree with Sean, but the question is much to speculative as we have no idea who really will do what in HD and at what price.

Do you think they would sell the customers to Dish or Direct? Do you think Dish or Direct would offer those Voom customers a special promotion to get those customers? Some that have a lot of money in the hardware sure would be ticked. Voom would just become another example of why not to spend so much fr a new service that is coming out.

If Voom goes under or closes it's doors, I think no other company will buy out the assets or customer base. Both are too small. The programming of premium HD channels will be and are available to Dish and Direct already. The customer base is about a couple of months new customer growth to either Dish or Direct. So where is the incentive to pick up the pieces? There is no incentive. Voom will be like the fresh road kill everyone diligently tries to steer around but no one will get out of their car to move it off the road until finally it is just a stain in the roadway and forgotten. No incentive there either.

No option for me, I'll just keep Dish and OTA unless D* really comes through with their HD promises UNCOMPRESSED then I may move to them.

Im already a Directv sub so I guess I'll add a couple of more receivers and live with Directv. I'll miss VOOM if it goes under though.

VOOM gives us HD programming. DirecTV keeps promising to launch new Satellites and has added 1 new HD program in the past year. So their track record is not so good. Would have to pick and choose at that time as to the most quality HD.

But I think you probably have a problem with pre-mature speculation!

Voom already went under for me :D, I went back to D* and voted as such. Isn't there at least a whiff of a rumor about E* buying Voom?

It really interesting to see that many people would actually go back to cable.

I didnt expect such a strong showing for cable. I guess its because I'm in NY and Time Warner sucks. I guess the other cable cos have something better to offer.

Already switched over to cable. Suprisingly enough, Adelphia offer HD now. I got an HD DVR and the basic cable package for $50. They only have ABCHD, NBCHD, CBSHD, ESPNHD, INHD1, INHD2, HDVMS, NESNHD right now. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with an antenna and rain fade any more.

Voom will never go under, but if they did, I would go back to C-Band. E* and D* are for losers

zubinh said:
It really interesting to see that many people would actually go back to cable.

I didnt expect such a strong showing for cable. I guess its because I'm in NY and Time Warner sucks. I guess the other cable cos have something better to offer.

You hit the nail on the head....TWC is so bad in NY for HD , it isnt even an option for me anymore.

I'm hoping E* grabs the 61.5 bandwidth via either a sale to E* from Cablevision (or a bankruptcy auction if they find idiots to pay for it once they try and spin it off as a separate company (only to watch it go bankrupt a year later))

Voom wil survive

VOOM WILL SURVIVE. TRUST ME.

When the new DVR comes out, the ucentric with servers in different rooms using RF cable, it is goint to be such a phenomenon, everyone will get on board. Voom is the HD leader with 40 channels now, direct tv is promising _huge difference_. When direct Tv has 150 HD channels in 2007- three years or almost 1200 days from now, Voom will have over 200 chaannels and possible new technologies that the others don't have.

Voom will survive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)