jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
Any idea what would cause this?

I have a friend with an original sidecar dish. All sats are solid in the 90's, including 99 and 103, except for the even transponders on 103. They range 65-77, and a few drop to zero.

Obviously this makes viewing on some HD channels a problem, with the signal dropping in an out.

I've already ruled out any cable issue, it's only about a 40' run with going straight from dish to receiver (except a 6" flat cable going through a window - which we tried another with the same problem).

I was thinking of ordering a new LNB and trying it. Could I put a Slimline 3 LNB on a Sidecar dish, any reason that wouldn't work?

Usually its a fine tuning issue.. if that doesnt solve it then a short somewhere at a connector. The 101 LNB on the sidecar is the same size as a S-3LNB, so it should work, works on a 18x20 /shrug

Edit: actually isnt the primary LNB on the Sidecar Dish a 101/99/103 LNB? and the sidecars are 110/119?

Anything is possible with the AT9, but since the odds are okay, I'm going to go with needing a re-peak.

Loss of even TPs usually means that the control voltage (18v) is getting attenuated. In this case, I'd guess that the 103 LNB isn't responding, but the other LNBs are. Check all connections for corrosion.

Loss of even TPs usually means that the control voltage (18v) is getting attenuated.
In this case, the loss isn't complete so I'm not sure your solution makes sense (although it can't hurt to inspect and tighten unless you fall off the ladder/roof).

Take a multi meter set it on dc use an old piece of coax with a connector on one end on the other strip it so you have a long 2" of copper and a piece of Braid, make sure they do not touch. Put the ground on the braid and the red on the copper. disconnect the antenna hook the cable to the back of the receiver if the multi meter doesn't alternate between 13v and 18v unplug the receiver & plug it back in (a hard reboot) if it still doesn't alternate you have a bad receiver, if it does you have a bad switch or LNB.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)