what would I gain by upgrading from a 9' to 10' or 12'

Status
Please reply by conversation.

49studebaker

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
I currently have a 9 foot mesh satellite dish. Would I be able to receive more free digital or hd channels if I upgraded from my 9 foot to a 10 foot or 12 foot dish? If location is a factor I live in central Texas. Thanks.

probably not much. I have a 6 foot dish and get probably 98% of the channels up there

There are some weak satellites but that is due to my area (Minnesota)...example is G25...its tough to lock it

A larger C band dish will allow better signal under adverse conditions. Such as 2 degree spacing or 7/8 fec. Back when everything was analog.... Yes you could see a difference in the picture. I went from a 10ft to a 12ft eons ago. With digital you either have a picture or not so the picture quality won't improve. If your looking for exotic S2 stuff a bigger dish will help, but not all that much for run of the mill except for higher numbers on the meter. If your looking at ku a lot then bigger is definitely worth the investment.

it's all in how you use it...

I currently have a 9 foot mesh satellite dish.
Would I be able to receive more free digital or hd channels if I upgraded from my 9 foot to a 10 foot or 12 foot dish?
If location is a factor I live in central Texas. Thanks.
The only thing I can add to the above responses is this....

If the condition of your 10/12 foot dish is better than the 9' unit, or the motor/mechanism is better, then by all means get the good stuff on line.
I believe there are a lot more things than just size that matter, when it comes to BUDs.

So, moving up from a hail-damaged dish might help.
Changing from a dish with a wobbly mount might help.
Definitely changing from a dish with few counts per bird will be necessary for accurate KU reception, though you may be able to mod your old dish.
Personally, I'd kill for a dish with a horizon to horizon motor setup (H-H)
Using the appropriate (best) LNB/feedhorn on your chosen dish can get you a LOT more signal!
If you find your 9' performance is lacking, you might give it a proper mechanical tune-up and re-alignment and see a big boost.

And as a last resort, try this:
Put up all three dishes, and then compare! :D
I have room for two BUDs, and wouldn't say 'no' if someone offered me a better one than I was using.
On that point, I'm in full agreement with rv1pop:
But, if the question was upgrade "with" a 10 foot "and" a 12 foot I would holler --- YES!

What kind of 9' dish do you have, and how is it outfitted?
What kind of 10/12' dish do you have available, and how are they outfitted?
Pictures would help, of course. :)

i would test all the high FEC channels using lyngsat
if your pulling them in with the 9 fter at a fairly good signal rate then i don't know if i would change.

now heres a thought if you have the space to add a second dish then go for it and that way you don't interupt the 9 fter thats already set up and getting good signal.

if your like 90 % of the fix it uppers here you will try to gain more signal and get bigger dishes :) so i learned the hard way took down a dish that was getting pretty good signal and work on my 10 ft dish. well the 10 ft dish i've yet to get tuned in correctly and here we are 6 weeks into football season :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)