What would I need

hometheaterman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
I'm just wondering what switch I would need if I added a 721 or would I need a quad lnb. Right now I have a Dish500 with dual lnb going to a 501 and 301. If I replaced the 301 with a 721 I would need 2 lines going to it correct? What would I need to get the second line a quad lnb or could I use a switch?

go with the dish pro quad lnb, you would be able to hookup 501 721 and another single tuner box in the future if you wish
the 721 does require 2 sat lines

Or, consider the DPPlus Twin LNB - IF
  1. The 721 is now supporting it (rumor says yes)
  2. your expansion is more likely to be another bird instead of another receiver
  3. Or you want to avoid a second feed to the 721
Prices are probably comparable.

If you go with the Quad, it's best to put the 721 on Ports 1 & 2 OR 3 & 4, but NOT 2 & 3.

It might be easier to use a DishPro Plus LNB as SimpleSimon suggested. That way you would only need one wire from the satellite to feed the 721 (with a DishPro Separator). With the Quad, you need to run another wire to the 721.

If you think that you need more than 2 receivers, the Quad might be better. However, if you think that you might want to receive programming from 61.5 or 148, then the DPP LNB already has an additional input for the extra satellite, and you do not have to run any additional wires to the receivers. (If you use the DPP, you can receive three satellites on two receivers with only 1 wire going to each receiver.).

Edit: I originally wrote DishPro Splitter instead of Separator as BobaBird noted in the next post. (Sorry, it was still a little early for me). :D

Tony S said:
...only need one wire from the satellite to feed the 721 (with a DishPro Splitter).
That would be a DP Separator that's used in conjunction with a DP Plus switch. A DP Splitter may be used ahead of a switch, say from a DP Single to 2 DP21s.

Any confirmation yet on whether the 721's L175 update includes DPP Twin support?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts