What would it take for SA to offer local channels?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rjc3895

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
I think I would subscribe to SkyAngel if I could get my local channels similar to what I can get with Dish Network and Direct TV. What would it take for this to become a reality (other than an act of God)?

I think I would subscribe to SkyAngel if I could get my local channels similar to what I can get with Dish Network and Direct TV. What would it take for this to become a reality (other than an act of God)?

Buy a DTV receiver from WalMart or Radio shack $50 - 60, you can get a $40 coupon from the government at www.dtv2009.org

Buy the $12 rabbit ears antenna at radio shack and BAM! There are your local channels.

i think more servers, money and worst for us our subscription would go up. i have my locals via ota digital setup. (converter box and bowtie indoor antenna)
god bless
john

They would have to have a contract with each station, just like dish and DirecTV do.
Bob:eek:

The only way I think they could do this with minimal cost is perhaps to offer Video On Demand from the national networks plus locals. If they could argue that their set top box is merely accessing, say, Hulu, to show NBC & FOX programming (with the ads) then perhaps it would not require separate licensing. Similarly, ABC & CBS could be done the same way. For local news, SA* would have to find a way to link to video news clips (or in some cases, full newscasts) that are posted online by local stations.

I don't think you'll ever see SA* carry "major network" local channels live and 24/7, at least not in the next ten years, unless a miracle happens and some kind of blanket copyright exemption/ low-cost license is granted.

(FWIW if IP geolocation could be improved, that might be one way to easily determine who is "local" for each signal. But it would definitely be limited to seeing only the locals in your DMA.)

Buy a DTV receiver from WalMart or Radio shack $50 - 60, you can get a $40 coupon from the government at www.dtv2009.org

Buy the $12 rabbit ears antenna at radio shack and BAM! There are your local channels.

If only it was that easy. I live in a small town about 90 miles from Pittsburgh and 80 miles from Erie. I live in town which is in a valley. If I lived up on the hills I could do this, but I live in a dead zone in a dead town. I have a c-band dish, so I pick up many of the religious channels offered by Sky Angel. I'm more interested in the family package which includes the NFL network. Dish Network's family package does not include the NFL network. Still, for $26.00, the Dish Network package may be the way to go.

If only it was that easy. I live in a small town about 90 miles from Pittsburgh and 80 miles from Erie. I live in town which is in a valley. If I lived up on the hills I could do this, but I live in a dead zone in a dead town. I have a c-band dish, so I pick up many of the religious channels offered by Sky Angel. I'm more interested in the family package which includes the NFL network. Dish Network's family package does not include the NFL network. Still, for $26.00, the Dish Network package may be the way to go.

RJC, what speed is your Internet connection? Sky Angel says you need a minimum of 1.5 mbps, but in real life experience.....if you plan to be using the computer at the same time as watching TV (especially with multiple computers in the house) I suggest you go with a 3.0 mbps connection or faster.

If Comcast is your local cable co.... you can get local channels + NFL network for about $30.00 per month. Limited basic cable is about $15. You need to get a digital box $4 per month and the sports package $8.95. In Connecticut 6% sales tax plus 5.5% franchise tax is tacked on to all cable bills making the cost of such a configuration about $30.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts