What would make the equipment better

Wally has the DVR OS and recordings on the hard drive. The basic Unix OS is hard coded on a chip with the Dish software in RAM. SSD will not speed up anything but the draining of your wallet. Slow performance and boot is in the hardware on the MB.

The operating system is on the disc. That is how we moved from the old system to the CUI. The CUI was more than just the guide and such it included an entirely new OS.
Is that true even for receivers that never had the old system in the first place? (Hopper 3 and anything newer) Wally was CUI from day one, and functions without adding a hard drive. Of course, in many ways, the Wally CUI experience is different from the Hopper experience. So, this may explain the incompatibility of the Wally to integrate with any Hopper, and the complete lack of certain features and apps on Wally.

Reactions: TheKrell
Hopper 3 is fine but I wish for a not so sensitive OTA adapter. If Tablo and others can pull in ALL stations without problems DISH should be able to or find a manufacturer and software that can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Love
Reactions: pattykay
The operating system is on the disc.
Which receiver are we talking about? If the O/S were on disk, then a disk failure would prevent the receiver from working at all. But we read from experience here that they do work, but just lack recording or trick play or anything that gets added to a Wally with the addition of an EHD.

Which receiver are we talking about? If the O/S were on disk, then a disk failure would prevent the receiver from working at all. But we read from experience here that they do work, but just lack recording or trick play or anything that gets added to a Wally with the addition of an EHD.
I can confirm that a Hopper 1 with a failed hard drive will still function with the CUI as a non-DVR receiver. The Hopper 1 that I tried this with did not even get the software update to the CUI until after the hard drive had already failed.

Hopper 3 is fine but I wish for a not so sensitive OTA adapter. If Tablo and others can pull in ALL stations without problems DISH should be able to or find a manufacturer and software that can.
The hardware and software already exist. (MT2 module with ViP receiver software) Now, it is just a matter of finding a way to integrate that functionality into a Hopper system.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yes, there is a basic SAT receiving OS built into a chip on the MB, but in order to record on a Wally or 211/411 you must attach an EHD where the internal OS downloads the DVR OS which resides on that external HS. In fact, if you have multiple Wallys or 211s you can move that hard drive between the DVRing receiver and a non-DVRing receiver and the DVR capability moves with the hard drive - this is for the Wally/211 only. Not sure if a Wally's EHD can port to a 211 or vice-versa, though.

It appears that for higher units like Hoppers, the full OS may be in an EPROM, the internal hard drive (and external to some extent) may be solely for recordings, maybe a little program info.

OTA Dongle warm enough to heat up entire home. Current one only warms up one room.

Otherwise, file management options for EHD. Granted, I have a 722k laying dino eggs in my living room. I suppose another thing, useless but a perk would be a Wii-mote like remote.

I have only one equipment wish....That Dish upgrades all their data center servers and increases the bandwidth enough to prevent aspect ratio changes during on demand playback. Further, make all on demand content downloadable instead of streamed which for me is the most problematic.

Its my biggest beef with the service. When I open any streamer via smart TV app or secondary hardware like FireTV and get flawless playback somethings wrong. Both are sitting side by side, sharing the same connection as my H3 but one is glitchy It's not right and it's not on my end.

In the end my wish is for Dish to spend their capex on their own equipment thereby making our experience better.

Reactions: HipKat and pattykay
Hopper 3 already captures the entire WA/EA into its single SAT-in port. Though they stopped counting at 16, the theoretical number of "tuners" supported is infinity.
Perhaps in the spirit of the thread, there could be an "enthusiast" device for those of us so obsessed. With enough horsepower and storage space, a Hopper device could record the entire Western or Eastern Arc, just a direct dump of each individual transponder, archived for a reasonable period (week or two?) where you could go back and watch anything. If it went out over the satellite, it's stored on your drive. Basically PTAT enabled all the time for every channel. Bonus points if you can auto-hop it all.

Perhaps in the spirit of the thread, there could be an "enthusiast" device for those of us so obsessed. With enough horsepower and storage space, a Hopper device could record the entire Western or Eastern Arc, just a direct dump of each individual transponder, archived for a reasonable period (week or two?) where you could go back and watch anything. If it went out over the satellite, it's stored on your drive. Basically PTAT enabled all the time for every channel. Bonus points if you can auto-hop it all.
Did you calculate the storage required to do such a thing? :eeek I sure couldn't afford that device!

• Love
Combining your idea with the one posted above it, Dish could do this massive data dump on their end, then make the resulting Universal PrimeTime Anytime available to every Hopper user through the internet connection, as On Demand content. (Some filters would be needed to ensure that the content of local broadcasts only get distributed back into their own local markets, other blackout rules are still enforced, subscribers only receive content from channels for which they are actually paying, etc.) This way, everything would only need to be recorded once (instead of by every individual user) and it would not be relying on the quality of the satellite reception on your end to ensure a perfect recording. The downside of my proposal is that if Dish's contract with any particular channel does not allow streaming or On Demand access, then that channel would also have to be filtered out. Still, delivery of all content this way is a goal that Dish could work toward, so eventually satellite delivery to each individual customer would not even be needed at all.

Reactions: MrDRC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)