What would you ask Chase Carey?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sixteenbynine

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
In the desert of the real
Let's say, hypothetically, that I might have a chance to ask Chase Carey a question within the next few days... wink wink, nudge nudge...what question would you ask? Please, the questions about "HD lite" have been hashed and rehashed (Please see Mark Cuban's response) so much already...When the new satellites are up things will be better... but right now...just buy a Sony SXRD and enjoy.....;-)

Last edited:
Why are you guys running Directv into the ground? Becoming more like E* everyday!!!

sixteenbynine said:
Not quite sure what you mean there, Juan, could you clarify, maybe?
Constant rate increases!! getting rid of tivo!! Increaseing New subs rates mid contract....HD lite .... The r15 hunk of junk..the list goes on...No new national HD till 2007

How is it going to feel when RM cans your a** for running his satellite company into the ground?

The above is in the process of being done by the following: dumping TiVo, no new national HD even though they now have the -4 bandwidth to do it, raising prices, generally ignoring what your customer's want, and too many others to list.

My prediction: By 2008 E* has more customers and D* is in a negative churn position.

Do you feel guilty taking the millions that they pay you to make the bone head decisions that you've been making lately?

Do you really feel you can compete with cable when systems are going 100% digital, and offering more HD programming, local and national, then you do while your HD and SD picture quality are going in the dumpster?

hey chase,

thanks for the oppurtunity of working for directv. thanks for the free total choice. thanks for the free tivo.

ok real question, when are you and rup gonna squash ergen like a bug? we all know its coming. will it be a sudden b*tch slap or will it be slow and agonizing??

just kidding guys..

directv DOES NOT ANSWER QUESTIONS.

Better yet, ask him owns the other 63% of D* that RM doesn't. Perhaps we can convince them it is being run into the ground.

Last edited:
uh, i do believe the howard hughes charitible trust and hughes networks still own a large chunk of stock. if i am wrong i am sorry.

Question for Chase

I think a lot of frustration that is felt by people here is a lack of communication from the D*.

And a lack of knowledge from the CSR's.

The two reasons I switched to D* was picture quality and service (ok three, sunday ticket rocks) and over the last year both pq and service has suffered.

Maybe its not a question that I want to ask, but more of unsolicited advice I want to share.

For instance right this second there is a screen on my local hd 25 fox boston area channel, its says no need to call us we've temporarily lost connection with your local stations. we'll have your channel back as quickly as possible. sorry for the interruption. I guess Im frustrated with the service. Never mind HD lite and yes I have the 50" SXRD (I splurged for once) but what about the picture break up and the sound break up. Why is it at times In order to watch a show without sound break up I have to switch to the digital channel.

I want D* to become a leader again. They had the best pq and they had the best service and now theyve let the other catch up and surpass them.

tell ya what just ask him there are a lot of frustrated D* people out there and they want to know what D* is going to do to make them feel comfortable again.

boston, do you use HDMI or component with your SXRD? I also have the 50" and I love it. I have a used HR10-250 and I don't know if the HDMI port works or not. I am currently using component and the picture is so awesome I have a hard time believing it could be any better with HDMI. But I don't have an HDMI cable to test it with and don't wanna spend the money to find out if the port works. Have you compared component and HDMI? Can you see any difference?

BTW, I have some info about some actual Q&A today with Chase Carey that I will post later.....

I have a source who was there today when Chase Carey, (President and CEO of D*) visited one of the call centers and gave a speech and took questions. I will post an in-depth recap of it tomorrow (hopefully, if I have time). I can't do it right now, but here's one preview--Chase was asked about new national HD channels--he said that TNTHD was a possibility, maybe this year, but other than that, he basically said that there isn't much HD content available. He said, and I quote, "I've seen that VoOm crap" and called it "looking at a pretty picture of nothing". He defended HD locals by saying that people want programs like CSI, Law & Order, Desperate Housewives, etc. in HD, so HD locals are the focus for now. Hopefully by the time we have the next 2 sats up and are able to provide more national HD, there will be more content available.

Anyway, I've gotta go now...
Tomorrow, I can give you the full recap of his speech/QnA.

1. Why cant you see buying Tivo is a bargain?
2. When will you release the capture card for Media Center?
3. WHEN will national HD channels become a priority? Before or after you loose high end HD customers?

agsbill said:
Can he get Tanya Memme back for us ??

:)

Bill
1) Yes! Why is she gone? I googled for answers to that question but came up empty. She was great.

2) Also, I agree with others- why didn't you buy Tivo? Nearly everyone who has ever used Tivo, loves it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.