what would you like your DVR to do?

memo90061

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 26, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
what new features would you want?

i wish there was a way to edit the videos to remove the commercials. i know you can skip them but there are some things that i wouldnt want to delete and it would just take up space but i would be lazy to delete the commercials! lol.. i am always recording music videos and want to edit out the music videos i dont like and keep the ones i do like!

I'd like to be able to add scene marks while watching a recorded movie. So the next time I watch it for instance a menu pops up with all the spots I put a mark and I can jump to certain areas of the movie whenever I want instead of having to FF or back to find the scene.

that would be nice! i hate having to fast forward and look for the scene i was looking for... and YES! i want real on demand! dish on demand sucks! i wish it was like cable.

Be able to do like tivo to go and let me put my shows on my ipod. This would be in line with similiar dvr competition!!!!

FYI yes I know about the archos and I choose not to go that route.

Ethernet, supporting:

(1) Built-in webserver/apps to control DVR functions remotely. At minimum, to schedule and delete recordings remotely.

(2) SAMBA server making all recordings available to other servers (even if encrypted) - for backup and offline storage.

(3) Resident software to allow recordings to be transparently saved/playedback/transferred to/from remote URI's. Setting of "where to store" available in recording options when creating/modifying a timer, as well as a system default setting for this.

I'd like the ability to trim the beginning and/or tail of an event to shorten Sports programs that you need to pad (in case of OT) but end at the regular time.

While we're getting ridiculous...

Ability to control a motorized dish and do a blindscan of the rest of the (non E*) satellites for FTA channels, integrate those into the guide.

I'd love it if the DVR would continue to record live tv to the buffer while you are watching a program that has already been recorded. I can't tell you how many times I've finished watching something I've recorded, dumped to live tv, found the show to be interesting, hit rewind to go back to the start only to realize that the 622 doesn't record to the buffer while watching a previously recorded program. I know, not a big deal but tivo does this and it is what I'm used to. With tivo if I sat down to watch a live tv program, I'd hit pause, watch something else that was previously recorded, drop back to live tv, hit play and continue watching and FF through the commercials. You can imagine my suprise and frustration the day I got the 622 and tried to do this. I guess I could hit record before I go into watch something, but I always forget to! (5 years of tivo!)

I'd love it if the DVR would continue to record live tv to the buffer while you are watching a program that has already been recorded. I can't tell you how many times I've finished watching something I've recorded, dumped to live tv, found the show to be interesting, hit rewind to go back to the start only to realize that the 622 doesn't record to the buffer while watching a previously recorded program. I know, not a big deal but tivo does this and it is what I'm used to. With tivo if I sat down to watch a live tv program, I'd hit pause, watch something else that was previously recorded, drop back to live tv, hit play and continue watching and FF through the commercials. You can imagine my suprise and frustration the day I got the 622 and tried to do this. I guess I could hit record before I go into watch something, but I always forget to! (5 years of tivo!)

man would i love that!

i'd also love it if they'd change the default to 'once' when setting a timer. i set 'once' timers every day, but when i'm doing 'new episodes' for a program i only do that one time for a given program...net is that i have to change new episodes to once 98% of the time i set a timer.

and i'd like them to let us choose if we want to display the All Channels, All Subscribed and All HD guides. Currently we have to cycle through them, and the ALL HD is totally useless to me, as is the All Subscribed since i lock out everything i never watch. (my All Channels and All Subscribed are exactly the same).

oh man i hate that!!

Record NBC, ABC, CBS, and FOX at the same time with 3-1 TB drives.

Just set a timer for all 4 tuners to record daily from 7p-10p. Done.

here's a quite techno-geek one that would confuse most users but would really be useful.

Buffer the transponder stream not just the single channel you happen to be on.

Say, for example, you are watching SciFi which is on 119 TP8. You could change channel to A&E, GSN, E!, TNT, or CMT, all of which are also on 119 TP8, rewind any of them and see what you missed, all without scrapping SciFi which is still being buffered. There could be a little indicator in the guide that shows which channels it is safe to switch to without losing the buffer.

Along with this they could rearrange so that similar channels come from the same transponder. Suppose you're a news junkie and they put CNN, FOX News, CNBC, MSNBC, et al on the same transponder, so you could switch between them at will, rewind, catch up, all without losing what's happening on the others.

This would also make digiblur happy since in most cases all locals for a market are already on the same transponder. Just set a timer to record any one of them, enable the "record entire stream" option then go back and view the entire prime time at your convenience. Plus you'd still have the 2nd tuner available for something else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)