What would you pay for the Hopper ( Dish's new Multi room DVR) ??

free upgrade like HD to the hopper. $10 a month home DVR fee and $3/joey after your first 1. So a hopper and 3 Joeys would add to $16 a month in additional fees on the programming. THAT sounds awesome. all these with autopay of course, without maybe make it a $14 a month fee plus $6 for the 3rd and 4th room - nice round 20 bucks. Easy sale and easy to remember. Not to confusing. PLus if they reduce there equipment costs and fees then it may validate the increase in content (programming). And everyone is happy paying relatively the same price as before with better tech.

I am thinking of switching from DireCTV to Dish sooo

SIMPLE ANSWER- I will pay the exact same price per month as there competitors that also have a similar multi room HD system. Nothing more.

I pay 6.00 DVR fee plus 17.00 for 2nd VIP receiver (622 & 722) for three tvs. If I can get one hopper and two joeys for 15.00 or less that would be nice.

If we assume that the Hopper is the standard install, can we assume we might get to the point where we are offered DVR For Life, just like the HD for life promo?

That would be great.

If we assume that the Hopper is the standard install, can we assume we might get to the point where we are offered DVR For Life, just like the HD for life promo?

That would be great.

Doubtful . IF DISH was smart they would announce DVR free for life, just like I suggested a couple of years ago they should be the first company to offer FREE HD for their customers. They did seem to take that suggestion and then came out with the FREE HD FOR LIFE deal, they have had the last year or two. DISH already had FREE dvrs back in the early 2000's when they had the 501/721 Pvrs and they actually added more subs than EVER, per quarter, when they advertised that fact. But Charlie decided he didn't want to leave any money on the table and added the dvr fee PER DVR receiver. Which was the exact opposite of DIRECTV with one per account. Then when they got beat in advertising by DIRECTV over this fact , they switched to PER Account back in 2010 ,but rolled the additional dvr fees into their huge Additional receiver fees, that range from $10.00 to $17.00. I don't see Charlie reversing that revenue, since they don't seem to be interested in adding subs anymore. They only seem to want more revenue PER sub, as evidenced by their continuing growing profits ,even though they seem to lose more subs each quarter and stay at around 13 million subs.

But if they ever wanted to GROW again as a company , the idea of dropping the DVR fee would be a great way to do it. So would reducing and consolidating the additional receiver fees back to just $7.00 instead of $7.00- $17.00 . It is really all up to Charlie Ergen and whether he wants to grow subs or grow profits. They shouldn't be mutually exclusive. A big hint to which direction they are going to continue in is what price they will charge for the Hopper/Joey whole house dvr system.;)

After seeing the new pricing structure for DirecTV coming in February, I suspect Dish will follow suit.. DirecTV is doing away with HD Free For Life and making the fee $20 for HD, DVR, and whole home (rebated $10 off for 24 months to new cust) I foresee Dish also going this route of doing away with HD free for life and putting it all together as a base simple fee. DirecTV is grandfathering the Free for life to existing subs. But watch out when your make account changes.

For people with 3 TVs or more....please remember the hidden savings....ie electricity cost....with 1 hopper doing the heavy lifting will eat less energy then 2 existing VIPs eg 4 TVs configuration with 1 hopper + 3 joeys will save on energy cost then 2 VIPs doing the same.

I might be wrong also....but this is my hunch.

For people with 3 TVs or more....please remember the hidden savings....ie electricity cost....with 1 hopper doing the heavy lifting will eat less energy then 2 existing VIPs eg 4 TVs configuration with 1 hopper + 3 joeys will save on energy cost then 2 VIPs doing the same.

The last thing I have ever cared about is power consumption. It will never equate to the cost of additional units. But then I live in a fairly cheap electric cost area.

Lets not forget one of the basic tenets of new release marketing...
"New" = better
"Better" = higher cost than current offerings

You can spin it any way you want, but adding/switching/ "upgrading" your system to this technology is going to incur a higher monthly charge from Dish...

We can dream, and theorize till the end of time, but, you can bank on the fact that this will cost you a lot more to get, especially when it first becomes available...

Dishs' main objective is to take more money from you every month...

I myself am willing to pay up to $200 for an upgrade fee along with $10/month DVR and $5-$6/month for the Joeys. I would expect the 1st Joey to be included and would be willing to pay up to $50 to add each additional Joey. I don't plan on needing a second Hopper but if I did I would expect it to be another $200 upgrade fee and $14/month.

If Dish sets the price any higher than what I noted then I would have to seriously think about getting it. I'm already paying about $140 for Dish.

I myself am willing to pay up to $200 for an upgrade fee along with $10/month DVR and $5-$6/month for the Joeys. I would expect the 1st Joey to be included and would be willing to pay up to $50 to add each additional Joey. I don't plan on needing a second Hopper but if I did I would expect it to be another $200 upgrade fee and $14/month.

If Dish sets the price any higher than what I noted then I would have to seriously think about getting it. I'm already paying about $140 for Dish.

One Joey included with a hopper, I think that would be very competitive!

I think they have to continue offering an inexpensive two room solution in order to stay competitive.
If Dish truly wants everyone on the Hopper/Joey, that's pretty much the only way to get everyone to upgrade. There are a lot of Dish customers who will stay on the SD receivers just to avoid all the exorbitant fees with an HD upgrade (even when owning HDTVs).

Dish already does a wonderful job of keeping customers from upgrading to HD. They make it so hard for a customer to get the HD Free promo. The customer themselves has to set up an account on dish.com and agree to the terms in order to receive their HD for free. I know it doesn't sound like much to us but for a lot of elderly customers or just people who don't have computers it can be a real pain.

Dish already does a wonderful job of keeping customers from upgrading to HD. They make it so hard for a customer to get the HD Free promo. The customer themselves has to set up an account on dish.com and agree to the terms in order to receive their HD for free. I know it doesn't sound like much to us but for a lot of elderly customers or just people who don't have computers it can be a real pain.

Agreed, it is much easier to "Hop" a customer....:rolleyes:

My 722 consumes 40KW/month. I average $0.15/KW (including all taxes), so it its exactly $6.00/month for electricity. I believe 1 Hopper and 1 Joey will consume slightly more power.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)