What would you pay for the Hopper ( Dish's new Multi room DVR) ??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
If you are going to compare DirecTV to the Hopper it would be better to compare it to the HR34. You are comparing it to DirecTV's MRV which can be adapted to any HD DVR + HD DVR/Reciever, which does cost more than using the HR34.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/272992-directv-hr34-home-media-center-launches.html

Note were it states saves money by eliminating the need for additional receivers.

If you read again, it does not need an additional receiver if you have an RVU capable TV. If you don't have that, you still need a receiver or an RVU converter unit, which is not yet available.

If you read again, it does not need an additional receiver if you have an RVU capable TV. If you don't have that, you still need a receiver or an RVU converter unit, which is not yet available.
Thanks for pointing that out. That is a very important point of clarity that I missed.

The fee structure is changing however.

It is changing from Whole-Home to Advanced Receiver (ARS) which will have a total cost of $20/month. It combines the DVR, HD, and Whole-Home services into one service after Feb 9, 2012.

Aggressive for "Dish" is probably not the same as what most here would think of as agressive. Dish probably means costs the same as a 922 and a bunch of 211ks.

So, Hopper free, but you have to pay the 922's $10/month DVR fee, joeys at $7 each, same as a 211 but now you get DVR for free (instead of the $40 one time fee)!

Aggressive in Dish speak usually means no price increase, not nescesarily a decrease.

What worries me is the 2nd hopper fee, will it be the same as a 922 ($17/month) or will they agressively stretch it to more?

This of course is just speculation, but when have you ever really seen Dish lower the price of something?

I would like to see them being agressive and have joeys at $5 (or less) each, and a second hopper at $10 or something nice. I would also love to see the option of buying your own joeys for no monthly fee (lets say they sell them for $100, so about 20 months of renting).

To replicate what we have now, we MIGHT be able to get away with 1 Hopper and 1 Joey (it's only myself and my wife, we currently have a 722 and a 622), but we'd probably really want 2 Hopper's to make sure our timers don't conflict; and while we're at it we'd probably want a Joey in the sunroom and one in the guest bedroom (so we're back to 2 Hoppers + Joeys).

Aggressive for "Dish" is probably not the same as what most here would think of as agressive. Dish probably means costs the same as a 922 and a bunch of 211ks.

So, Hopper free, but you have to pay the 922's $10/month DVR fee, joeys at $7 each, same as a 211 but now you get DVR for free (instead of the $40 one time fee)!
That's not too bad. I believe that's in line with D*'s whole-house fees.

I just hope the upgrade fee isn't outrageous. Too me, "aggressively priced" would mean $100 at most for the Hopper upgrade, and Joeys free. (And, first Hopper and up to 3 Joeys free for new subs, 2nd Hopper @ $100.)

My thinking is along the same fee structure as exists now:

First Hopper is included with programming cost (maybe a Joey, too, maybe not) + $10 DVR fee (just like the 922).

Joeys would be $7 per month - first one may or may not be included with programming. Joeys mighy be less since they are not truly a receiver, maybe $5 each per month.

Second Hopper is $24 ($7 per tuner plus the $3 non-DVR DVR fee added).

That being the case, to replace my 722k and 3 211s servicing 5 HDTVs (now one gets SD fron 722k'sTV2), I'd almost certainly need 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys - $45-$52 plus $10 per month in receiver fees. Now I pay $21+$6 - I think I'll pass especially since we do not have HD locals any way and the Primetime Anytime would not work for me.

What Dish should have done, IMHO, is create a central home receiver with modular outputs that can be piggybacked up to say 4 or 6 each which outputs a QAM signal to an HDTV. I'm sure the content providers would not really be too happy with that, but such a system already exists as an add-on that can distribute several QAM channels around your house. Maybe Dish should buy these guys out and use their system - 3 channels could support three HDTV's from a Hopper like central Receiver/DVR.

Last edited:

I just hope the upgrade fee isn't outrageous. Too me, "aggressively priced" would mean $100 at most for the Hopper upgrade, and Joeys free. (And, first Hopper and up to 3 Joeys free for new subs, 2nd Hopper @ $100.)

Definetly sounds like it may be that.

I suspect of course that the first ones to hop (sorry could not resist) to the new system will pay the real $$. Remember the 922 was $400 or $200 depending on your account, later down to free to some. I have a feeling they will slowly decrease the upgrade charge over time.

Disclosure: I left Dish for FIOS already. :)

One of the reasons I left Dish was because of price. (Other was unreliable internet) I wanted a "whole home" DVR and HD on each TV. I'm not griping about that, but to do that was expensive (comparatively). I'm glad to see that Dish is working to deploy this Joey/Hopper system and think it is a big step in the right direction if they get the pricing right.

A suggestion would be to allow people to buy the Joeys and not charge a monthly fee for them. You could still let people rent them for $3-$6, but encourage people to buy them outright. Rent the hopper as the first DVR on the account and include it like you do now.

If you encourage people to buy the Joeys, they will be less likely to switch. They will already own equipment and feel like they are invested in their choice. Maybe work out a deal with someone like Roku to even add Dish to a model of theirs. I would have loved to have a Roku box with a coax input or just IP streaming that would work with Dish. But the main idea is that you enable people to save a little money in the long term.

As for renting, you should consider the model that FIOS has. I have a main DVR and three STBs now. I originally started with two STBs, but FIOS gives packaging prices for getting more. ie, DVR + 1 STB, DVR + 2 STBs, ...etc. Every time you add another STB, you get a slight discount on the package. Its not a lot, but at least I feel like I am getting a deal.

Just a thought.

I believe today I would pay no more than I am now, 1, vip922 and 1, vip722.
I have no illusions or delusions about it being cheaper when it is released either.

149 upgrade
8/mo hopper (without a joey it only does 1 tv, regardless of how much you can record. 922 does 2 plus sling)
3/mo joey (essential a hardwired slingcatcher)

isn't the joey powered by the hopper? if i remeber that correctly, it is. then you really only need enough for everyday viewing plus maybe one extra. since it's just a HDMI cable to the tv, you could have a spare joey with cable and carry it to whatever extra room you might want temporarily.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts