what you you do--problem whe going to cable phone service

captnemo

Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
I switched to cablevision phone service from my old land line copper wire verizon freedom plan. Problem is when cable modem was connected to my old kaptel telephone network inteface box in closet in my apt. my phones dont work. Service had it working and when they left, but phones stopped working right after. Contacted cablevision and they said that it could be a problem with my old land ine wires or box in closet and II might be better with a cordless phone and sattlites instead of trying to fix old copper lines or box in closet. This old interface box goes to built telephone wall jacks in each room and is connected to main copper weire comming into apt.

Has anybody had a problem where your land line would not work when cable phone service was installed. I bought new6.0 digital cordless panasonic phone with satelites connected modem to base phone and no problem. What woud you do in my case make land line work or do what I did. I always had static on my old land line

"always had static" - there you go. There was something already wrong with it, that got worse to the point of unusable.

I myself would fix the wire, but if you don't have the expertise or desire to do it, just leave well enough alone.

"always had static" - there you go. There was something already wrong with it, that got worse to the point of unusable.

I myself would fix the wire, but if you don't have the expertise or desire to do it, just leave well enough alone.

thanks, The cablevision person who came to install phone cut the wires comming into box.from verizon and tried for a while make it work, but it looks complicaed and box is about 25 years old and wires look brittle . Even if I went to fios, they would probably not use this box.

with out seeing the actual wiring - i'd have to say if the lines are poor in the "switch-room" from old age. It was "wise" to cut the old cooper from the switch to your area. BUT my thinking is if those wires were showing signs of age and being brittle, it could also be that the phone lines in the apartment are also failing. Do you have the cable modem in your apartment, I'll assume yes - if yes I would try a cordless phone kit straight to modem. if that still doesn't work then something is wrong on the CV side...

hope this helped?

with out seeing the actual wiring - i'd have to say if the lines are poor in the "switch-room" from old age. It was "wise" to cut the old cooper from the switch to your area. BUT my thinking is if those wires were showing signs of age and being brittle, it could also be that the phone lines in the apartment are also failing. Do you have the cable modem in your apartment, I'll assume yes - if yes I would try a cordless phone kit straight to modem. if that still doesn't work then something is wrong on the CV side...

hope this helped?

I am a phone tech and that's exactly what the problem is. To prove this point take of of your regular telephones and plug it directly into the cable modem phone port and try making calls. My guess is it will be clean. If it's clean there you need new internal wiring or get a cordless phone as the poster suggested.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts