Whatever happened to Bell changing the HD to MPEG4?

miguelaqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
Besides new local channels, Bell has not used MPEG 4 for any new HD channels they have added. ABC Spark and those MGM/WB HD channels were added after the MPEG4 locals, CTVH, CTVM, CTV2 and CH, but they were MPEG 2. When Dish converted to MPEG4, all of the new adds were MPEG4. Dish did not swap out receivers until a couple of years later.

Did Bell decide to put that on hold since it seems that they will start putting HD on 91 and drop the MPEG4 conversion? I noticed that some of the standard def channels had been more compressed than before (video noise and pixels)

I was told by a Bell dealer years ago..meaning he might have not really known... that Bell got a huge deal on the 9200 DVRs because Dish had switched to MPEG 4 and that Bell had purchased many of the left over MPEG2 receivers. That was the reason why, back in 2006, Bell went from a rental only on the 9200 to being able to buy them easily, although Starchoice had already started using MPEG4 for HD. the same dealer pointed out that Bell, at the time, had not even used the 8PSK. So, looking back, that doesn't seem like a company that was interested in converting to MPEG4.

So, are they really still swapping 9200's for 9242's or has that come to a end? I would understand why they would not want to spend the money on all of those receivers when they could avoid doing so by activating the spot beams on Nimiq 6 for some of the local channels and compressing the channels a little more.

BTV WILL switch to MPEG4 once all the 6100 have been swapped outed, I believe most of 9200's have now been swapped out for either a 9242 or 9241. Once the entire swap has been completed(hopefully by Sept) . You'll see BTV switch to MPEG 4. As it stands now no SD receivers are being sold or rented to custumers.

Last edited:
You are wrong about the SD receivers. Customers can have 4100's just not as the FIRST Receiver, that MUST be a 6131/6400 or 9241. I just installed 60 SD Receivers today, all 3100's for a Commercial Customer.

The MPEG4 swap of 6100 & 9200 models is still ongoing, customers with active receivers are now getting registered letters telling them of the swap. Not many 9242's left but I do know of a couple of locations with stock.

Then the CSR I spoke to when I re-order BTV again lied to me and told me otherwise, that I couldn't get a 4100 that all my receivers need to be either a 6131/9241 if renting.

The CSR did NOT lie. You chose to read only part of my reply. You CAN get 4100's if you buy them.

You could also have been given a 6400 if the Tech was out of 6131's.

No.

I asked if I could rent a 4100 along with my 9241 the CSR said no, they no longer rent 4100's. I then asked if I could buy one? The CSR said No BTV no longer sells them? I'm only going by what the CSR told me.

Wether if the CSR did or didn't say the right info or not at least the one I spoke to. Like I said I'm only going by what the CSR told me. So itr appears the info I got was incorrect? Non the less I stil got 3 6131 HD receivers & 9241 HD PVR even though one of the TVs is SD I stil get to se Hopllywood suits and other HD channels on that TV though not HD still get those channels.

Can you still get(buy) a 6141 or 9242 receivers? I can't understand wny Echo star woulde come out with a receiver without a RF connection whem 99.9% of TV's still have them. Every HD TV I've seen has a RF connection.

But?

Every SD TV I've seen has a RF connection but not all have other video inputs IE Compeset or S-VHS inputs.

Can you still get(buy) a 6141 or 9242 receivers?

Yes, if you know who to ask or exactly where to look, there are a few still around but they are mostly used ones on sale now. Although you were not specific, I guessed you were asking about New......

I was just curious. The reason I ask is I'm aware that BTV was "short" or 'supposely' short of 9242 in stock, and thats why I got a 9241 insrtead and I was wonder why I didn't get a 6141 in stead of a 6131.

The funny thing is I sold all my receivers(5 years ago) If I still had BTV instead of switching back then, most likely I would gotton a 9242 for my 9200 not sure if I would of gotton a 6141 instead of a 6131 for my 6100.

In any case the 6131 where new or at least according to the tech who installed them 3 6131 but the 9241 was a refurb, I'm on the rent to owen.

As a New Customer the chances of getting a 9242 is almost ZERO, as a New Rent To Own Customer it is less than ZERO as that model was never in the RTO program anyway.

Yes you would have got a 9242 & 6141 for the 9200 & 6100 if you had been among the first to call in for the swap program. Lots of people were able to jump on the MPEG4 swap because of info posted on another Forum and because of that got the best possible models for their old MPEG2 Receivers.

If you are in an area with OTA reception, you can use it as an OTA HD PVR. Down side is that it still needs a Sat feed but hey, it works great.

Good thought alright but unfortunately only 2 snowy channels available here, so I think the HD's will come out and find a new home and the rest to recycle.

Thanks guys :)

If you are in an area with OTA reception, you can use it as an OTA HD PVR. Down side is that it still needs a Sat feed but hey, it works great.

You can rent a 4100 receiver AS LONG AS THE PRIMARY RENTAL RECEIVER IS HD. They are still activating 3100's because those are the ones I'm installing for my customers. 6100's get a 6131 replacement, haven't seen a 6141 in 3 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)