Whatever happened to channel scanning update?

caduces_wild

Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Houston, TX
What is up with the channel scanning update? im still missing two locals on my channel mapping.

I would also like to delete the spanish channels (four of them locally in PG) and others that i never watch. :confused:

How is the channel scanning going to work? Will it only show channels that it actually finds, or will we be able to manually turn channels on so that we can adjust the antenna until we get reception?

sixy said:
How is the channel scanning going to work? Will it only show channels that it actually finds, or will we be able to manually turn channels on so that we can adjust the antenna until we get reception?

I believe both. Most HD tuners have automatic and manual tuning. Automatic tuning will scan for all digital channels when the antenna is pointing in a given direction while manual scanning lets you adjust the antenna while looking for a specific digital channel. I beleive that most HD OTA tuners work this way and we should see no difference with VOOM stb once this function is implemented.

Well, Sean, I just got the deal breaker over the phone, unless you can do SOMETHING to get my box's channels re-mapped. I was just told (after my 4TH call to VOOM's customer service) that they have no way of adding the missing channels that SHOULD be there (according to zap2it). According to them, no channel map exists for my zip code that will give me the NBC affiliate in Baton Rouge (33.1 WVLA-DT), which would be within range of my OTA antenna, and they have no way of adding it. The installer that installed my system even told me that he has no trouble WVLA-DT with his HD OTA receiver, and he lives very close by.

I mean, after all, the OTA stuff is one of the main reasons that I went with VOOM---to save the extra expense of having to buy an OTA HD receiver to get my network HD. Bearing that in mind, I am now better off buying the HD receiver through DirecTV and getting a lower monthly rate in addition to 2 extra receivers for my non-HDTV's. I know by doing this that I'll miss out on the VOOM exclusives, but that's not the point. If VOOM's box had a channel scan capability, these problems just wouldn't exist. As an additional note, the CSR told me that the channel scan capability will not be available through a software update for these boxes, that would only be available with the new boxes later in the year that includes DVR.

I hope you can help me out before I make my decision---

Thanks again for all your help---

Ferdy

Ferdy said:
Well, Sean, I just got the deal breaker over the phone, unless you can do SOMETHING to get my box's channels re-mapped. I was just told (after my 4TH call to VOOM's customer service) that they have no way of adding the missing channels that SHOULD be there (according to zap2it). According to them, no channel map exists for my zip code that will give me the NBC affiliate in Baton Rouge (33.1 WVLA-DT), which would be within range of my OTA antenna, and they have no way of adding it. The installer that installed my system even told me that he has no trouble WVLA-DT with his HD OTA receiver, and he lives very close by.

I mean, after all, the OTA stuff is one of the main reasons that I went with VOOM---to save the extra expense of having to buy an OTA HD receiver to get my network HD. Bearing that in mind, I am now better off buying the HD receiver through DirecTV and getting a lower monthly rate in addition to 2 extra receivers for my non-HDTV's. I know by doing this that I'll miss out on the VOOM exclusives, but that's not the point. If VOOM's box had a channel scan capability, these problems just wouldn't exist. As an additional note, the CSR told me that the channel scan capability will not be available through a software update for these boxes, that would only be available with the new boxes later in the year that includes DVR.

I hope you can help me out before I make my decision---

Thanks again for all your help---

Ferdy

I emailed you and this will get resolved.

WJET-DT still not resolved

I have been trying to get the WJET-DT (local ABC affiliate) issue resolved for Erie, PA since April 9th. Still no luck :( I can tune this channel fine with my Hughes E86 receiver.

-Siva

Ferdy said:
...the CSR told me that the channel scan capability will not be available through a software update for these boxes, that would only be available with the new boxes later in the year that includes DVR.

Wow. That's HUGE news. OTA networks have been a thorn in Voom's side from day one. I would think they would want to fix it ASAP. What's the point of a software update that does not include this feature? I hope that CSR was mistaken, and we really are going to get scanning capability in the next update. The DVR isn't scheduled for release until late fall right?

As far as locals being added to your guide by Voom, don't hold your breath. I'm STILL waiting on KNWS in Houston.

Ferdy said:
As an additional note, the CSR told me that the channel scan capability will not be available through a software update for these boxes, that would only be available with the new boxes later in the year that includes DVR.

Ferdy

As far as I know the CSR is incorrect. This is completely wrong of everything I have been told. Where do CSR's get these stories? I do not know.

Got a big surprise this morning---

Fired up the VOOM box and, lo and behold, KADN Fox was mapped in! What a nice surprise! Tried tuning to it and it came right in. Signal strength is worst of the OTA's that I have(showing 33 strength and 45 quality), but have had it on all morning with no drops or pixelation.

So, now I'm absolutely convinced that KATC has some kind of problem with their signal, since my signal strength and quality from their carrier signal is so high comparitively.

I'll go ahead and post all my strength and quality numbers for reference from Broussard---

QUALITY STRENGTH

KATC 78 81
KLFY 46 80
KADN 45 33
KLPB 92 83

I've been in contact with kurts and after discussing the KATC situation, I'm now more convinced than ever that they have changed something in their broadcast signal that is making it impossible for certain STB's to decode it-\

Now, if I can only get WBRZ, WVLA and KPLC mapped in and solve the KATC problem, I'll pretty much have all my OTA's necessary for the time being at least. I'll have to admit, I was pretty well surprised that KADN came in considering that their signal strength is so low, and the fact that I'm 22 miles away using a Winegard GS2000A to bring 'em in---

Another note of interest is that KADN is not shown for my zip code 70518 at zap2it------

astrossuperfan said:
There are 2 days left in May for a software update. Is this the big news coming 6/1?

I personally do not think the new software will be here on 6/1. I like to be wrong as well about this but I have not heard indications that it will happen. Last time I heard there was a problem discover with it while in test mode. So this might have delayed it a bit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts