What's currently the best LNBF for Dish/BEV (Circular Polarity)?

rossb

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Pembroke Pines, FL
OK, let's revisit a topic that's probably been covered before, but then, technology changes... Vendors/installers, please weigh in....:hungry:

Have been nosing around vendor sites (and privately PM'ing some folks - thanks!) in an attempt to locate a newer/better LNBF for fringe reception of Dish/BEV circular polarity signals (vs. DirectTV/SC linear polarity) on my offset dish...

I currently use an Eagle-Aspen dual output LNBF, with stated noise figure (when new) of 1.1 dB - but then, it's had three years of use in an extremely warm, humid location... I've gotta believe age and/or obsolescence is setting in...;)

There's been a fair bit of buzz lately about Invacom's line of extremely low-noise (stated at .3 dB) LNBF's - but their line (with a couple of exceptions) is primarily linear polarity.

So aside from Eagle-Aspen, are there any other contenders? And if so, links to site and specs would be appreciated...

Anyone?

Ross

P.S. Moderators - if this thread would be better moved elsewhere (or cross-posted - but I leave that to you...), please feel free... Thx

DirecTV uses Circular too (just a FYI) ;)

If you are out of the footprint of the crapelites* a better LNB will not help. Heck a larger dish may not help. I know people have tried the Invacom quad (QPH-031) that does both linear & circular. It claims a .3 but I dont know if that is circular too. For me anyways, I did not notice a difference between the Invacom and a simple Dish LNB when I aimed at Bell (but then again, I am in the footprint). I don't think I gained any points on the signal meter with the Invacom

*-crapelite--a crappy satellite aka nimiq 3 & 4

Hey Iceberg Do you have a map or idea where this foot print line is? I am in Central Oregon I get most bev channels (all at night). Used to be better before the Sat. move.
thanks

For Oregon and Washington, the cutoff goes up the middle of Oregon into the middle of Washington where it starts to veer over towards the coast before getting to B.C.

Merci...

DirecTV uses Circular too (just a FYI) ;)

If you are out of the footprint of the crapelites* a better LNB will not help. Heck a larger dish may not help. I know people have tried the Invacom quad (QPH-031) that does both linear & circular. It claims a .3 but I dont know if that is circular too. For me anyways, I did not notice a difference between the Invacom and a simple Dish LNB when I aimed at Bell (but then again, I am in the footprint). I don't think I gained any points on the signal meter with the Invacom

*-crapelite--a crappy satellite aka nimiq 3 & 4

Thanks Iceberg... for the info and the gentle correction ;) - fingers were disconnected from brain when I was typing...:D

Dying satellites aside, signal strength comparisons with another BEV user nearby suggest my LNBF is slowly dying due to environmental factors - and as I may (eventually) make the jump to SC, the quad unit could act as a transition LNB [and yes I realize I'll need some more equipment e.g to control the local oscillator frequency].

BTW, a bigger dish [+ maintenance] CAN make a difference (as well as it's construction). My 8' Andersen (formed aluminum reflector) outperforms the same size fiberglass ChannelMaster in these parts - proof is in transponders... and my maintenance? You'll laugh... Occasional application of high gloss car wax improves reception, if only by minimizing salt/dust deposition, and lessens rain fade... Above statement backed by experiments with the same LNB on different dishes...

Every l'il dB helps!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts