What's going on at Costco?!--No more PS3s?!

shanewalker

Overall, an O.K. Guy
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 15, 2005
KC/MO!
I've been bopping around trying to settle on a good vendor to purchase a PS3 for the holidays, and its down to three: 80GB bundle from either Amazon or Costco (with edge to Amazon for cost due to no sales tax and free shipping, but convenience going to Costco for any unforeseeable return/exchanges); 60GB from eBay (we do have legacy PS2 games we'd like to play, and the discontinued 60GB model is still the best option).

Well, we've noticed spotty stock at our nearest Niles, IL (Chicago suburb) Costco...i.e. NONE, which I thought was very odd as they had stocked it and with the big holiday season approaching, you'd think they'd carry all the video game systems.

The kicker: now even Costco.com is 'out' of any Playstation 3 systems. Only a smattering of software titles are available online now.

Does anyone smell an 'arrangement' between Costco and Microsoft...their headquarters are only a few miles from one another in the Seattle outlays, after all.

I've been bopping around trying to settle on a good vendor to purchase a PS3 for the holidays, and its down to three: 80GB bundle from either Amazon or Costco (with edge to Amazon for cost due to no sales tax and free shipping, but convenience going to Costco for any unforeseeable return/exchanges); 60GB from eBay (we do have legacy PS2 games we'd like to play, and the discontinued 60GB model is still the best option).

Well, we've noticed spotty stock at our nearest Niles, IL (Chicago suburb) Costco...i.e. NONE, which I thought was very odd as they had stocked it and with the big holiday season approaching, you'd think they'd carry all the video game systems.

The kicker: now even Costco.com is 'out' of any Playstation 3 systems. Only a smattering of software titles are available online now.

Does anyone smell an 'arrangement' between Costco and Microsoft...their headquarters are only a few miles from one another in the Seattle outlays, after all.

There were at least 4-5 PS3 bundles at my local Costco a couple of days ago...

Keep an eye on those bundles...we had them a month or two ago and now--pfft!

I should note that I realize it seems that Costco stores tailor their offerings to the market demographics of the areas the stores are located in. I've found that as areas in Chicago 'gentrify,' the supermarkets and big box retailers metamorphose their shelves/selection. The store in question is firmly planted in a straight middle-class to blue-collar suburb. There is a huge Target in the adjoining lot and a shopping complex w/ BB, CC and others just down the road. In short, its not in the swankiest most upscale region of the city, but neither is it in the poorest most decrepit area. They may not be high rollers but they certainly are buying video game consoles this holiday season...

But what I find most curious is not stocking them on the website...shouldn't that be constantly restocked? Especially in the midst of the big holiday push.

**Update: Well, what do you know. Suddenly, the CoD4 bundle reappears on the Costco.com website. Glory, be.

Last edited:
Its the same for the 360. Costco is trying to get rid of old stock bundles before letting the bundles with new games and HDMI in the case of the 360.

I was at a different Costco today, serving a different more 'affluent' neighborhood of Chicago (Elston store, in west Lincoln Park), and lo and behold, they had a stack of PS3s. Granted, they were 40GB bundles that I wouldn't have been interested in (where ARE those CoD4 80GB bundles, anyway?), but there they were.

I have to say that's my single biggest gripe w/ big box/warehouse stores...they are inconsistent w/ their stocked items, obviously based on location. I understand why they do it--but for a big commuter city like Chicago that has a huge series of gaps not served by Costco stores, they presume MUCH about who drives where from where and what they might be interested in buying. Just saying.

Oh well--Amazon got my dollars. Sorry Kirkland front office...

I think your on to something

Oh my god. I think your totally on to something. With your local Costco being so close MS headquarters its obvious that something sinister is at work. What dastardly plan could Gates of come up with now? Perhaps he intends on opening an MS office near each and every Costco in America. Resulting in the PS3s no longer being available at Costco locations.

or...

The recent PS3 price cuts have made the system alot more attractive to consumers and they've sold out. Sony claims that sales have gone up some 200% since the price cut and the $399 option.

In the end, I guess either is quite possible.

Oh my god. I think your totally on to something. With your local Costco being so close MS headquarters its obvious that something sinister is at work.

Not to beat a dead thread...but I think you didn't read the OP carefully. Costco corporate headquarters are in Kirkland, WA, a stone's throw from Microsoft in Redmond, WA. It was tongue-in-cheek, but I think you missed the boardroom geographical accuracy of my original 'conspiracy'--must understand to get the full/proper effect.

That said...it seems it all comes down to Costco's market analysis of income/tastes per store location. The PS3 only seems to sell well in more affluent areas, it seems, and thus they only stock them in their big money stores. The original point of this thread was to see whether this was, indeed, a universal phenom timed to the holiday rush--or indeed something localized.

Costco moved out of Kirkland about 10 years ago. theya re still in the state of WA.

Not to beat a dead thread...but I think you didn't read the OP carefully. Costco corporate headquarters are in Kirkland, WA, a stone's throw from Microsoft in Redmond, WA. It was tongue-in-cheek, but I think you missed the boardroom geographical accuracy of my original 'conspiracy'--must understand to get the full/proper effect.

That said...it seems it all comes down to Costco's market analysis of income/tastes per store location. The PS3 only seems to sell well in more affluent areas, it seems, and thus they only stock them in their big money stores. The original point of this thread was to see whether this was, indeed, a universal phenom timed to the holiday rush--or indeed something localized.

WoW

Costco moved out of Kirkland about 10 years ago. theya re still in the state of WA.

Interesting. I looked it up...they moved to a neighboring town, Issaquah.

From Wikipedia entry on Issaquah:

"Microsoft and other technological industries moved into Redmond, Washington and other cities in the area, and later established operations in Issaquah itself. Both Boeing and Microsoft have significantly affected Issaquah's history, cultural development, and diverse population through their active community participation and attraction of outside residents. In June 1996, Costco moved its global headquarters to Issaquah from neighboring Kirkland, Washington (thus the origin of its Kirkland Signature brand)."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)