What's going on with my HD TiVo???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scrib

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
It seems like I'm having some issues with my new HD TiVo. If anyone has any ideas what is going on, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I have a Sony RP LCD, using HDMI and optical audio to a receiver.

1) The TiVo menus and button response is incredibly slow. I don't know if it's because the TiVo is downloading new software and maybe receiving programming info??? But's it's very slow compared to my SD TiVo box.

2) The audio on Discovery HD is ahead of the video and gets worse as I watch. It seems like that's the only channel right now that I notice this occuring. I never had any lag with this setup on the SD TiVo.

3) ESPNHD looks like crap. It's the World Series of Poker. Not sure if it's just that program, but it looks like poo.

4) PQ isn't all the great. Even the OTA seems worse when going through the TiVo. And having to potentially switch between 1080i and 720p depending on the program. Kind of annoying.

Any thoughts on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Scrib said:
It seems like I'm having some issues with my new HD TiVo. If anyone has any ideas what is going on, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I have a Sony RP LCD, using HDMI and optical audio to a receiver.

1) The TiVo menus and button response is incredibly slow. I don't know if it's because the TiVo is downloading new software and maybe receiving programming info??? But's it's very slow compared to my SD TiVo box.

That's one thing I noticed when I first got my HDTIVO, it is noticeably slower than my old stand alone TIVO. I think it just does a lot of processing with the HD. Sometimes it is slower than normal, so I force a reboot and it gets better.

2) The audio on Discovery HD is ahead of the video and gets worse as I watch. It seems like that's the only channel right now that I notice this occuring. I never had any lag with this setup on the SD TiVo.

That's another problem I noticed at first, but now it doesn't happen anymore, maybe your audio sync problems will go away like mine did. maybe because of software downloads.

3) ESPNHD looks like crap. It's the World Series of Poker. Not sure if it's just that program, but it looks like poo.

World series of poker is not being broadcast in HD. ESPNHD hardly ever broadcasts in HD, maybe 5-7 games a week. ESPNHD, IMHO, is a joke.

4) PQ isn't all the great. Even the OTA seems worse when going through the TiVo. And having to potentially switch between 1080i and 720p depending on the program. Kind of annoying.

Check your cable connections and try different cables like Component or DVI.
Don't worry about switching between 1080i and 720p, I do it every now and again, and I can never tell a difference. I don't think anyone can tell a difference.

Any thoughts on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Responses in BOLD above :)

The 'rumor' is that the HD10-250 will some day get the 6.2 software upgrade that greatly speeds up the performance of the box.

rad said:
The 'rumor' is that the HD10-250 will some day get the 6.2 software upgrade that greatly speeds up the performance of the box.

I wish that this would happen, but with the coming changes, I would be surprised if D* would want to spend time/money implementing it. I don't understand why they didn't do it when the others were done.

I called tech support last night and asked them a ton of questions; mostly the above ones...

Anyway, the HD TiVo tech (I got transfered from level 1 to level 2 support) said the 6.2 upgrade IS COMING. He doesn't know when, but it is coming.

I played around with the audio/video lag issue last night and did some more searching. It seems I'm not the only one suffering from this. Interestingly enough, most people don't seem bothered by it!!! Odd.

Was it on a network broadcast (OTA) or on a station from the satellite? I often get lipsync issues with my local digital broadcasts, but that's their fault and not D*.

madpoet said:
Was it on a network broadcast (OTA) or on a station from the satellite? I often get lipsync issues with my local digital broadcasts, but that's their fault and not D*.

DiscoveryHD on D*

I have the same audio sync problems from time to time on all the D* HD channels through my HD TIVO.
Discovery HD is the most often and most pronounced. Doesn't seem to be a rhyme nor reason for when it happens and how long it lasts. It does bother me. My wife says she doesn't notice it though.

Scrib said:
Anyway, the HD TiVo tech (I got transfered from level 1 to level 2 support) said the 6.2 upgrade IS COMING. He doesn't know when, but it is coming.

Read these forums enough and you'll find out real quick that you should never believe a D* CSR. I'll trust some of the folks on these fourums more than a CSR.

I hope the CSR you spoke with is right, but I won't hold my breath.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)