What's Hot for Consumer Electronics 2004

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
ENTIRE ARTICLE

Jan. 7— As prices of widescreen TVs capable of handling high-definition (HD) content drop below $1,000, public interest in the HDTV format is starting to take off.

At the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, starting today and running through Jan. 11, we expect to see some exciting new developments, ranging from 25-inch HDTVs priced under $700 to new 1080p digital projectors.

Texas Instruments, for example, is expected to show off the latest developments in its digital micromirror technology. Digital Light Processing (DLP), which uses the technology, has become common in rear projection HDTVs from Samsung, Panasonic, Gateway and Optoma, while 720p-capable front projectors also using the technology have taken the market by storm. TI hasn't announced anything but we expect it to discuss a 1080p version — if only behind closed doors.

We'll see a big focus on HDTV broadcasting, too. Cablevision is expected to be there, talking up its new Voom HDTV satellite network. Meanwhile, both Dish Network and DirecTV will discuss further developments in their HD offerings.

The long-wished-for HD personal video recorders (PVRs) from both DirecTV and Dish Network may finally see the light of day, along with more demonstrations of HD PVRs from Motorola, as well as Scientific Atlanta and Moxi.

Tim,

We'll appreciate your input... I am going to be in a conference all day at Verizon here in NYC. I do not know if I will have access to a pc with internet but I will try my best to get one and check. Enjoy the show! I am assuming you are attending the avs party... Enjoy that as well... I'll probably do it next year.

I actaully have to head back Fri AM so will not attend party, unfortunate as I wanted to meet a number of the folks and it will be opportunistic. Plotting strategy to hit most of the vendors. I'll be internet challenged too but will get any critical highlights (there aren't typically many revelations) ASAP.

Tim

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)