What's involved in a DirecTV QC inspection?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tom J

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
Omaha, NE
I've read numerous posts that refer to a DirecTV QC inspection after the install. Just curious what this entails.

Tom J

I've read numerous posts that refer to a DirecTV QC inspection after the install. Just curious what this entails.

Tom J
Here is a little about QC inspections......because they are evolving. All external components get a look. Is the dish mounted in a good location and firmly attached? Are the cable fittings correctly cut? Is the dish grounded? Is the work neat without cable blowing in the wind? A QC inspector should not ask to enter the building but should let a customer know he is on the property. That is about it.

However, as DirecTV leaves contractors out in the cold while bringing on DirecTV employees to do the work things could change. And there have been instances of unnecessary QC items just to be able to back charge contractors rather than pay for the installations. As the equipment gets more sophisticated it may become necessary to actually inspect the equipment inside the home..especially forinternet speed. For now signal levels can be monitored either at the dish or by CSRs during installation.

Joe

I had a poor sub contractor here in Mobile, and so did my boss recently when he dropped Dish. Not sure who they are using, but they suck. Guy had to come back once because he did not concrete the pole, second time he used these little ground stakes. I could only hope there is a QC inspection because he just did not do a good job.

I had a poor sub contractor here in Mobile, and so did my boss recently when he dropped Dish. Not sure who they are using, but they suck. Guy had to come back once because he did not concrete the pole, second time he used these little ground stakes. I could only hope there is a QC inspection because he just did not do a good job.
Perfect examples!

The pole in concrete thing= an evolution thing. In the earliest installations it was not an issue because the 18" round dish was small. Just pounding The 1.66" pole into the ground worked most of the time. It was not mentioned in any specification I ever saw and was always an extra charge anyway. Many round dishes went on old PrimeStar poles with a provided adapter. As the dishes got bigger more care was needed and a bigger (2.0") pole but still this was outside DirecTV QC for a long time. DISH was a little more specific.

Those little ground rods are not allowed in the electrical code. They are used to ground metal buildings. If the grounding requirement were enforced many jobs would not go in. There is a single ground rod (main electric bond) for each residential electrical system. That is where the dish should be grounded. The QC on grounding is don't ask and don't tell.

Joe

Last edited:

Tom J
Is the work done in a clean professional manner; is the dish and static block at the building, properly grounded. Is the dish mount mounted in a way that it is not going to come loose in high winds, or excess cable left at the dish or static block side. How did the installer ground the system at the structure (did they use the strap on the side of the meter, or use a split bolt, to connect to the ground wire going to the ground rod for the Earthing ground of the structure electrical system).

The grounding info can be found in Chapter 800 of the NEC. Basically all communications at the structure should connect to the Earthing Ground for the structure, not be attached at different points around the structure or inside. You want the potential to be null, that if you do get a static discharge, it is going to go to ground. Same with indirect lightning strike.

L-Com makes a good Lightning protector, but you again have to wire it properly to ground, and use the correct one for the Satellite install, if you need that extra layer of protection. We use them on outside ran Ethernet & telephone installs between buildings, so that you do not have that chance of lightning back feeding into the system, if you do get a close enough strike.

As a installer and previously did inspections QC's I can say that the dish gets looked at, is it grounded?
Is the drop from the dish in good shape or used?
Does it go straight to a splitter or ground block?
Is it flooded cable if it's touching the ground (in case of pole mount)?
Does the dish have a complete 10 degree window from all obstructions?
Is it the correct dish type?
Is the dish mounted correctly and assembled correctly?
Is the dish bonded and grounded?
Are all connectors replaced?
Does the cables have 7 inch drip loops at switch and or ground block?
Are all cables directv approved?
Do all entry points have a bushing and sealant?
That's pretty inch the jest for outside. Now let's go inside (yes, we do inside QC's at times) did the installer show a badge before entering?
Did he/she connect phones lines to all receivers or connect to internet?
Are the remotes programmed to work tv's and other equipment?
Was the tech friendly and kind?
Did the tech show you how to use the system?
Did the tech arrive in the tech arrive in the time frame?
There a little more but this is what they're really looking at if it was an O&O or HSP tech

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)