what's likely the problem?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

highskies

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Texarkana
I just bought a new 23" LCD 1080P PC monitor a few weeks back. I've been a CRT fan for ages, but I have to admit, this LCD monitor does excellent black levels, which really surprised me big time. The only thing I don't like is the wide screen aspect of it. But my point is to not discuss PC monitors tho.

This particular monitor has 1 HDMI input, plus VGA and DVI. So I have the OpenBox S9, and as I recall, an HDMI cable came with it when I bought this off Ebay awhile back. So I still have the original box. I look inside..there's the free HDMI cable still there, in an unopened pkg. So I hook this up to the monitor when I first got it a cpl of weeks ago, and I eventually figure out to make it work via HDMI and the S9. Pretty killer picture, accept for the small size. But I didn't buy this monitor to watch tv on. Was mainly curious as to what the pic looked like thru HDMI. especially 1080i feeds. After that time, I simply put the HDMI cable up and didn't try using it again until yesterday.

So now when I connect the HDMI cable to the monitor and S9, I'm getting a check cables message. Since I know how to operate this monitor now, meaning I have HDMI selected as the source, for some reason, nothing is working. I then hooked up the S9 to a tv via a composite cable, so that I could try and see what was going on when I went into the display menu. I tried both RGB and YUV, but the monitor still wouldn't recognize that it was connected to an HDMI source. When in YUV, I changed the settings to 480p/60, 720P/60. 1080i/60...nothing worked with the monitor, tho all these settings worked fine via the tv and composite cable.

What is likely the problem? Bad cable, even tho the cable is brand new and has been used less than one hour? A bad monitor, where the HDMI port is not functioning correctly? Or could it be something wrong with the S9 itself? Unfortunately I don't have another HDMI cable, nor do I have another source which outputs HDMI to test with the monitor. So now I'm debating as whether to return this monitor to BestBuy before the time period returns are allowed expires. Even tho I didn't buy this monitor to watch tv on, I still paid enough for it where I expect the HDMI to be working correctly whenever I might decide to feed it with an HDMI source such as the S9.

I would try another HDMI cable, even though yours is almost new, it may be defective from the normal flexing and tugging it has experienced.

HDMI cables are a lot cheaper online or at eBay than they are at local stores.

Status
Please reply by conversation.