What's my next step?

sam_gordon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Lexington, ky
I posted about this a while back and it was a minor inconvenience then. Now it's become a pain and I've done some more troubleshooting, but not sure what the best next step is.

I have a VIP211 in the living room and VIP612 in the bedroom.

The lines come from the dish to the basement, go into diplexers for my OTA antenna, then out to the receivers.

The 211 would start macroblocking on multiple channels (NBC Sports, TBS, Hallmark, FS1, and possibly some others), but the 612 wouldn't on the same channels.

Step one was swapping the lines in the basement at the inputs to the diplexers. Still have the macroblocking (so it's not the LNBs).
Step two was changing the ends from crimp to compression in the living room (both behind and in front of the wallplate). Still have macroblocking.
Step three was physically swapping the receivers. No macroblocking on either receiver.

The signal is slightly lower in the living room, but it's a longer run. But I'm talking maybe 3-4 points on the Dish scale.

I'd really like to put the 612 back in the bedroom so I can watch the DVR before going to sleep at night.
I guess I can put a HD on the 211 and get that authorized.
If I call Dish what do I say? I can't imagine describing all of this to a tier 1 CSR.

I *DON'T want to upgrade to a Hopper. I'm sure it's better, but I don't want to pay the extra money/month.

Other ideas/suggestions?

From what I can tell here's what's left;
A different 211
A new line from the diplexer to the Living Room
New Diplexer
Take OTA out of the equation to see if the problem resolves.
Do as you suggested and add an EHD to the 211 and keep in Bedroom. However it's possible the microblocking will get worse and affect the 612 at some point too.

Unless you want complete utter aggravation no, do not call and talk to a CSR.

Reactions: TheKrell
From what I can tell here's what's left;
A different 211
A new line from the diplexer to the Living Room
New Diplexer
Take OTA out of the equation to see if the problem resolves.
Do as you suggested and add an EHD to the 211 and keep in Bedroom. However it's possible the microblocking will get worse and affect the 612 at some point too.

Unless you want complete utter aggravation no, do not call and talk to a CSR.
Can't be the 211. When he swapped locations, no more macrobolcking, so you're dead on with the rest - bad cable, connector, diplexor. One of the 3

I hope it's not the cable. I ran the cables when the house was being built, then they put in the HVAC ductwork, right under the cable (cable is going through the basement ceiling joists)

Can't be the 211. When he swapped locations, no more macrobolcking, so you're dead on with the rest - bad cable, connector, diplexor. One of the 3

I think it's still possible - both locations are not the same. The living room is where the 211 has the problem and is where the signal is a little lower. The 612 is handling that location fine. If changing out one of the other 3 three things brings the signal up all might be fine, but that is a little longer run so even changing them may leave the signal in that room just a little lower. So it could be that particular 211's tuner is sensitive to the signal being lower - or maybe all are compared to a 612.

I took some readings, put everything back where it normally goes, then took some more readings. I'm posting this here just so I have a record of it:

612 Bedroom (normal position)
129 Tx 21: 57
119 Tx 21: 70
110 Tx 21: 67
129 Tx 28: 43

612 Living Room
129 Tx 21: 57
119 Tx 21: 73
110 Tx 21: 71
129 Tx 28: 53

211 Bedroom
129 Tx 21: 59
119 Tx 21: 74
110 Tx 21: 70
129 Tx 28: 57

211 Living Room (normal position)
129 Tx 21: 60
119 Tx 21: 75
110 Tx 21: 68
129 Tx 28: 58

A couple things I find interesting... the 43 signal strength in the bedroom for the 612 on tx 28.
The living room is a longer run, but by probably <50'. Yet the living room generally has better signal strength.
I used Tx 28 on 129 because I think that's the transponder I've had issues with.

I'm waiting to see when the problem pops back up.

But it's the 211 that was giving you issues, correct?? The difference between 43 and 53 is pretty solid, so you may need a new LNBF. Seems like you're possibly getting a little drift on that transponder

Yes. The 211 was the one I had the issues with. The last time I had swapped receivers, I only kept them in place for a couple hours. This time was a week. I should find out in a couple days if the problem comes back up.

Reactions: thomasjk
umm an Receiver like that is not gonna work because it's obsolete and if you want to keep it you will have to go ahead and upgrade to either the Wally or hopper class receivers such as the hopper 3 because that is what dish had decided to do so call dish and see what they can do.

Hey there Sat Guys, the 211 and 612 receivers are currently still in use and not obsolete. Once a receiver is obsolete, the receiver would function as normal and doesn't require an upgrade to use your service. It does mean that we no longer have those models of receivers available for installation though. If an obsolete receiver does need replaced we would change it out for a similar receiver from the newer line, for instance a 211 would be replaced with a Wally and so on.

Hey there Sat Guys, the 211 and 612 receivers are currently still in use and not obsolete. Once a receiver is obsolete, the receiver would function as normal and doesn't require an upgrade to use your service. It does mean that we no longer have those models of receivers available for installation though. If an obsolete receiver does need replaced we would change it out for a similar receiver from the newer line, for instance a 211 would be replaced with a Wally and so on.
So, does this mean I need to purchase a backup 722 now in case my currently leased one goes out? Would a purchased 722 still be activated as an in-kind replacement in the future?

umm an Receiver like that is not gonna work because it's obsolete and if you want to keep it you will have to go ahead and upgrade to either the Wally or hopper class receivers such as the hopper 3 because that is what dish had decided to do so call dish and see what they can do.
I get the feeling you don't know what you're talking about.

Would a purchased 722 still be activated as an in-kind replacement in the future?

Not sure in this climate. But a couple of years ago I had my owned 722 replaced with another 722, and it still shows "owned" on the website.

So, does this mean I need to purchase a backup 722 now in case my currently leased one goes out? Would a purchased 722 still be activated as an in-kind replacement in the future?
No only DISH can put a different receiver on your account. If you have a deactivated 722 that was on your account it can be reactivated but if it was on someone else account even DIRT can't reactivate it.

Reactions: HipKat
No only DISH can put a different receiver on your account. If you have a deactivated 722 that was on your account it can be reactivated but if it was on someone else account even DIRT can't reactivate it.
??? I'm asking if Dish would do that (replace a failed leased 722 with an existing 722, purchased or leased) in the future, or would existing 722 users be forced to go to the Duo?

Of course, JamesL@dish no longer shows as online to answer.

Once we move away from that series of receivers you would be able to replace it with a purchased 722 or 722k. We would still provide service to the obsolete equipment as normal.

Reactions: TheKrell and HipKat
So you haven't moved away from them yet, right? If my 722 died tomorrow I'd still get another 722 replacement from Dish?

It would only need to be activated on the account, that can be done by an agent over the phone, through our chat department or through our official social media pages. It would need to be from an account that has a zero balance. If it is from an account that owes a balance we wouldn't be able to activate the equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts