What's the advantage of using bluetooth devices on Hopper?

samalex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Waco, Texas
We just got our Hopper installed today, so I'm still learning all the cool stuff it does. Something I noticed while going through the setup was you can pair bluetooth devices to it. What's the advantage of this? Can it stream audio from say my bluetooth phone or tablet? Or is it for using bluetooth headphones? If so wouldn't there be a slight delay in the sound and video?

Just curious if this is something we'd ever use. Thanks.

Some have reported that slight delay as well. I'm a terrible techie, and haven't caught up with the Bluetooth technology. Just not a fan of it, if a cord can be used, so I have no idea of the validity, but the people posting about it, I would say are top notch, so I trust their opinions.

Reactions: navychop
i have one of those vizio 5.1 soundbar with subwoofer and satellite speakers and phillips bluetooth headphones and they both sound great paired up to my HWS

Some have reported that slight delay as well. .
That could be a little misleading. Just to be clear, all audio within the HWS, whether analog, optical, BT, or from HDMI - are all in sync. As soon as you feed an A/V signal to some display device and there is delay caused by video processing, then that associated audio will be out of sync with the HWS. Just hook up your wired analog headphones to the HWS or run a separate optical feed to an amp with speakers, and you will see the delayed effect. Of course this refers to modern flat panel displays. If you are using and old CRT TV, you would not see this delay.

That could be a little misleading. Just to be clear, all audio within the HWS, whether analog, optical, BT, or from HDMI - are all in sync. As soon as you feed an A/V signal to some display device and there is delay caused by video processing, then that associated audio will be out of sync with the HWS. Just hook up your wired analog headphones to the HWS or run a separate optical feed to an amp with speakers, and you will see the delayed effect. Of course this refers to modern flat panel displays. If you are using and old CRT TV, you would not see this delay.
Some people have had a noticeable delay, some people have not. The rest of the comment that I posted there, even says I do not use Bluetooth,and that the ones posting they have a noticeable delay, I would trust enough to know that it does exist. That all said, there have been many many customers that have had their system in sync with their bluetooth.

Some people have had a noticeable delay, some people have not. The rest of the comment that I posted there, even says I do not use Bluetooth,and that the ones posting they have a noticeable delay, I would trust enough to know that it does exist. That all said, there have been many many customers that have had their system in sync with their bluetooth.

Thanks everyone. We have a soundbar, but it's connected to the Optical output on our TV so everything going through the TV can use it (DVD/BluRay player, cable box, whatever). I just wasn't sure if I could stream audio from my phone or tablet to the Hopper and have it play on some dedicated station. Or if there were any other gee-wiz Bluetooth features other than audio that might make it worth wild to sync-up my stuff to the Hopper. If it's just for sound then I don't think that'll be a feature I'll use, though it's neat to know it's there.

Reactions: ChadT41

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts