Whats the best Do it Yourself OTA antenna?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Symbol

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Puerto Rico
I have terk tv antenna sitting in the yard not mounted and I get around 8 channels(its a long slim Terk Branded antenna). It is connected to my 922's OTA module and I only pick up around 5-6 stations and sometimes channels go missing.

this is the tvfool for my house TV Fool

looking on building a cheap antenna I can mount to a Pole or something since I cant mount it on the roof(ran out of RG6 cable :()

Has anyone tried to build the coat hanger antenna? does it work?
YouTube - ?Coat Hanger HDTV Antenna!?‏

Thanks

There is no such thing as the best do it yourself antenna. Every location is different, the topography of Dallas is different from Puerto Rico so what works here may not work for you. Building an antenna may be perfect for you depending on your ability for most people buying ready made is cheaper and simpler. There have been many threads in this forum about Puerto Rico broadcasting try searching for them. Maybe some can be PM'd and can help you with local information.

Thanks for the input Boba, I just asked because they claimed it could be done and obtain most of the stations. Also I got one of those ebay yagi antennas claiming a ton of miles and it was completely useless :/

Money isn't a problem, I am willing to spend at max $75 on a decent antenna. Just don't know which to get.

If it helps it will be on the roof of my house( 2nd floor).

Thanks for the input Boba, I just asked because they claimed it could be done and obtain most of the stations. Also I got one of those ebay yagi antennas claiming a ton of miles and it was completely useless :/

Money isn't a problem, I am willing to spend at max $75 on a decent antenna. Just don't know which to get.

If it helps it will be on the roof of my house( 2nd floor).
I did a forum search and Eduardito had a post in Jan. similar to yours from San Juan, again try a search.

Your biggest problem is that you have 20+ strong signals but they are fanned out 180 degrees from the ese to your wsw. You need a small multi-directional antenna pointing generally south that can pick up signals from as broad a beam width as possible.

The first thing to do is look at your neighbors and see what they are using.

Then I'd try that or find a Channel Master or Winegard dealer and try a Channel Master CM=3000A amplified omnidirectional antenna or A Winegard FV-HD30 Freevision antenna. The Winegard is more directional than the Channel Master so the CM might be the best bet.

I don't usually recommend the "flying saucer" type antennas but in your case that is worth a try.

Make sure you can bring it back if it does not do the job.

Okay, I got on the roof today, and looked at some houses, almost all of the had Sat dishes and 2 of them had antennas and they both were the flying saucer type.

went to the "RatShack" today and saw one...for $129.95, I will try my luck at Wal-mart and costco tomorrow and see what happens.

The "coat hanger" or bowtie style antenna is the best bet for you because is has a wide beamwidth. Since you are LOS and very close you will probably even get the stations to the east or west with the antenna pointing south. A DB4 or the Channel Master version of the antennna should work well for you. If you have the skill to build one there are several designs out there. There are modified designs at this site to improve VHF-HI performance which will help on a few of your stations.

DIY TV Antennas 4 bays, 2 bays, Kits and more

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)