Whats the best Media Player up to date?

pro96

You Member, Member ?
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 18, 2005
OC
Looking to get one now that I have sold my AZBOX ELITE that used to play MKV's just fine.

WDTV Live is calling my name for 109.99 locally @ Costco. With their return policy, I have nothing to lose.

Or does someone here recommend a better at the same price?

As long as it has HDMI/1080P output, and network ready ... TALK to me

The real question is what you want in a player. I use my PS3 it is DNLA, plays BDs and of course video games. Xbox's can do a lot too.

The real question is what you want in a player. I use my PS3 it is DNLA, plays BDs and of course video games. Xbox's can do a lot too.

Yea I did the same when I had a PS3, but sold it. I am not too much of a game player, so I need a standalone media player

How do you rip your DVDs, if at all? With menus?

If yes, WDTV has problems with it. Try Patriot or any player based on the Realtek chip.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/2072311-post16.html

If not, it becomes an issue of how do you like the user interface.

It's hard to beat the Costco offer, I'd start with it...

Diogen.

Yea Costco has cool deal on the WDTV LIVE. I will test it along with the Patriot.

btw: which model Patriot is the one you were referring to? is it this one at amazon?

Amazon.com: Patriot Box Office 1080p High-Definition Media Player PCMPBO25 (Black): Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41z-sHoX0UL.@@AMEPARAM@@41z-sHoX0UL

Last edited:
Yes, that's the one.
I think they have just one so far.

If modding is your thing, I'd stick to WD TV - it has a much bigger and more active community built around it.

Diogen.

I ordered the Patriot Box Office 1080p High-Definition Media Player PCMPBO25 (Black) for $89.99 @ Amazon and it comes with free Patriot Wireless-G USB adapter .. not too bad of a deal.

Ama try this baby for now, heck for $89.99 shipped no tax with free WIFI adapter is a great price.
Plus I get it by this friday since I chose Prime shipping (30-day trial) with 2 day fedex

Patriot combo arrived today.. even comes with free HDMI cable. The WDTV Live @ Costco is OS B&M. So this Patriot will do for now, we'll see how it goes.

I really like this Patriot device. Plays everything I throw into it. DVD/BLURAY folders with no problems. 1080p/24 looks excellent!

Hooked up an external 2TB HDD and had no problems reading it.

Upgraded the FW to P04

BTW: Even raw and full BR dumps at 40GB play excellent

Have you tried DVD ISOs? That's where the WDTV tripped...

It looks like Realtek learned from Sigma Designs' implementation...

Dioge.

Dune HD Base 3.0 Media Player

Looks interesting, they are sold out, but they can play BD ISOs over the network. They claim full menu support. I ran across them on the slysoft forums. It looks like you could just rip your BDs to ISO on your drive and serve it up to this box.

My WDTV will play the ISO's but with no menu or chapter functions...
That's what I meant.
Personally, couldn't care less but for some people it's important.
And if you can get it without sacrificing anything else and less $$$ - why not?

I believe this Patriot has also space for a SATA netbook drive inside. Can be useful to take with you to friends...

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)