Whats the best TV System, Video Resolution setting?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

T4Runner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 3, 2010
37.0N 119.5W California
I'm using a small 5 ft solid metal prime focus C band for this MicroHD right now, so it's not the best of conditions to be testing, but I am consistently getting 70% Quality or better on what I pull up. It's also on a HDMI connection to a HD Flat screen.

But the standard channels appear to be HD? Great picture. What setting is best for channel flipping? Which we all do of course...

By source?

But the standard channels appear to be HD? Great picture. What setting is best for channel flipping? Which we all do of course...

By source?

I use 1080i as my default video resolution since that matches up to my HD set capability. If I am not flipping but trying to watch a HD occ feed that is 720p, I'll temporarily set the video resolution to 720p because the picture looks slightly better when you match the video resolution with the occ feed's video resolution and go back to 1080i when back to flipping mode or found a feed that's 1080i HD format.

I forget the type of video display mode (the setting name given by the receiver) but I use one that if the feed is 4:3, it stretches it across my screen so I don't have to see stupid pillars and if the feed is 16:9, it shows it as 16:9. The weird aspect of objects in the video on 4:3 sources which bugs a lot of people doesn't bug me because they don't look really that out of whack to me even when stretched out a little bit to avoid the annoying pillars.

I forget the type of video display mode (the setting name given by the receiver) but I use one that if the feed is 4:3, it stretches it across my screen so I don't have to see stupid pillars and if the feed is 16:9, it shows it as 16:9. The weird aspect of objects in the video on 4:3 sources which bugs a lot of people doesn't bug me because they don't look really that out of whack to me even when stretched out a little bit to avoid the annoying pillars.

Fascinating. I don't like the stretched look at all. Never considered there would be others that can't stand the pillars. (Just got Star Trek TNG Season One on Blu Ray, which looks fantastic. But it has pillars.)

Fascinating. I don't like the stretched look at all. Never considered there would be others that can't stand the pillars. (Just got Star Trek TNG Season One on Blu Ray, which looks fantastic. But it has pillars.)

I prefer the pillar to the stretched video any day.

I usually will set the output to 1080p / 60hz.

Avoid setting to Source as I am an avid surfer. The delay as the TV resets the resolution after a channel change drives me nuts!:loco:

I have my microHD connected to an Onkyo audio-video receiver that always feeds the TV 1080p. I can either have the microHD convert 1080i to 1080p or have the microHD put out 1080i and have the Onkyo convert to 1080p. I haven't noticed any difference in quality either way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts