What's the cheapest least invasive route for HD with Dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
I've had my Samsung 61" DLP (HLN617W)for a week, now, and I absolutely love it.

I've been watching DVD's via DVI with incredible results. Prior to purchasing the set, I consulted this forum regarding the potential lackluster results from watching standard def. I am pleased to say that I am content with the quality of SD on this set. Of course some stations are worse than others...

My dilema is that I have a 721 and absolutely can't live without my DVR functionality. I'm holding my breath for the 941 (passing up the 921). I don't want to leave Dish, I don't want to give up my 721. Meanwhile I can't get HD, and I'm chompin' at th' bit to see this set shine.

In another thread squicken recommended the following while I'm waiting for the 941:

squicken said:
I don't think a DVR and a HD receiver are mutually exclusive. Dish doesn't charge a rental for their 811, just $10/month for HD programming pack. Keep your SD DVR, and maybe every once in a while you'll watch some HDTV.

Did I understand this correctly, that if I sign up for HD, the 811 is free?

Keep in mind I only have a Dish 500. I already have 2 cables coming into the house. Will this mean more?

How much should I expect to shell out for all this?

You can lease an 811 for $5 a month. I don't think there's a free promo anymore. I could be wrong though.

It is not easy to find on the web site, you have to log into your account then click on the upgrade equipment tab. Then you will see the offer:

$0 Up-front equipment cost

No commitment

No equipment to buy

Installation or shipping charges apply.
Limit 2 receivers
Maximum of 4 leased receivers per account
Offer not available in Alaska or Puerto Rico.
DISH 811 not available in Hawaii.

CALL 1-800-333-DISH
FOR DETAILS!

811/510 and 301 are the ones offered.

I thought they still had that. Since I'm no longer a DISH sub thats why I couldn't find it.

So how would I go about hooking up the 811?

I have an old Dish 500 (that was upgraded to have two separate LNBs). One cable goes to tuner 1 (on the 721), the other goes to tuner 2 (on the 721). Please don't ask me which switches I have...it's been so long since I've been up on that roof!

Is the Dish500 enough, or am I forced to upgrade to SuperDish? I thought I heard someone say that 110 & 119 currently have all the HD available on Dish anyway. Is this true?

Forgive the elementary question, but is there a simple way to split it once it comes inside? I do not want to disable any of the abilities of my 721. I would rather not run an additional cable into the house.

Thanks.

I called Dish the other day and they said I could get either a 510,311 or 811 for $50 one time fee and $5/month lease fee. That promo is still on

120ina55 said:
So how would I go about hooking up the 811?

I have an old Dish 500 (that was upgraded to have two separate LNBs). One cable goes to tuner 1 (on the 721), the other goes to tuner 2 (on the 721). Please don't ask me which switches I have...it's been so long since I've been up on that roof!
Without knowing what your LNB/Switch configuration it is difficult to answer this question. Most of the info on your LNB/switch config is available in the check switch screen of your 721.

120ina55 said:
Is the Dish500 enough, or am I forced to upgrade to SuperDish? I thought I heard someone say that 110 & 119 currently have all the HD available on Dish anyway. Is this true?
Nearly all of the current HD content is on the 110 sats. CBS-HD E and W are located on the 61.5 and 148 sats and a HD demo channel is available on 61.5. These would require a second dish (not a SuperDish) pointed at the side sat.

120ina55 said:
Forgive the elementary question, but is there a simple way to split it once it comes inside? I do not want to disable any of the abilities of my 721. I would rather not run an additional cable into the house.
You cannot split the feed between the LNB/Switch and receiver. There are ways to keep the number of lines coming into your house down to two. The methods require DishPro LNB's and either a DP34 switch located inside your house or a DPP44 switch located either inside or outside.

Neutron said:
You can lease an 811 for $5 a month. I don't think there's a free promo anymore. I could be wrong though.

This is the deal I got, the $5 a month is instead of the "extra" receiver fee. I have been an E* sub for 3+ years. Had dish 500 legacy LNBF's. Got a DP quad (built in switches, 4 reciever outputs) for free when I purchased the 721 during the the $250 deal. I also do not use a cable combiner and have 4 cables running to my living room where the receivers are.

My total additional costs were:

$5 Receiver Lease
$10 HD pack

For your equipment needs you could get either the DP quad LNBF or a DP34 switch (don't know if the DP34 works with legacy LNBF's, assuming that is what you have). I recommend the DP quad LNBF as the DP34 switch requires the extra complication of a power inserter. Then use a DP cable combiner/seperator (not sure of the name) for the two inputs of the 721 (combine 2 cables to 1 at the dish and then seperate 1 back to 2 at the receiver) and the other cable run for the 811. Check with Dish Network as the combiner/seperator is NOT just a simple cable splitter.

I called dish yesterday and asked them about getting the 811 and she said all I had to pay for was the shipping which is 24.95, so I did and it's on it's way, I have only had dish for about a year. So when I get the 811 I just unhook the 301 and hook up the 811 and call dish so they activate it and I'm done or so they say ;). However I'm still confused about the OTC, I have an antenna in my attic but I don.t know how that will work so when I get it I'm sure I'll have ?'s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)