Whats the deal with "HD Lite"?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
vurbano,

i am a tech installing voom and directv

and for once there is someone on here that is spouting facts and not rumors or hype and you are having a brain fart!! HD is anything above 480, get used to it!!

pradike,,,,,thank you!!!

voom isnt all that, unless you like to pay to be a beta tester.

dragon

I suggest you do a PQ poll over at AVS. I think you will find a concensus that D* HD PQ is dead last. I believe it has been done before.

and directv is LAUNCHING the most powerful sats ever built, and for what, nothing???

they are doing this HD thing right, slowly and methodically , so it is right from the get-go. why rush garbage to market ala voom???

ive seen posts on the various sites saying that voom will pass directv in subs, when, ? in 2525??? AINT GONNA HAPPEN!!

dragon

I have had D* HD for 4 monthes now, I don't know anything about how it works but my neigbors Charter HD has a much better picture.

dragon002 said:
vurbano,

i am a tech installing voom and directv

and for once there is someone on here that is spouting facts and not rumors or hype and you are having a brain fart!! HD is anything above 480, get used to it!!

pradike,,,,,thank you!!!

voom isnt all that, unless you like to pay to be a beta tester.

dragon
All Voomers were beta testers.

No, thank you...for reinforcing the fact that folks like vurbano and his band of 8-9 negative Voomers revolve around various message boards preaching "Voom uber allas" propaganda that INTENTIONALLY misleads, distorts, and plain lies about the state of HDTV today. Ever since he and his posse got into the Voom game, they have posted thousands of propaganda posts on how great Voom is and how lousy D*TV and Dish are...despite the fact that Voom has always been and continues to be one of the biggest technology failures in US history. Apparently, their strategy has always been to try and save face for choosing a doomed provider (as Voom guinea pigs) by bringing down everyone else, as well as regularly distorting the truth. Terms like "HD lite" and "downrezzing" are buzzwords thrown around by them to overshadow the facts and mislead people who have a legitimate interest in HDTV.

To set the record straight:

HD Lite - a made-up bogus term - HD is classified as 720P or higher - read about it in almost publication that can spell. D*TV and DISH both meet and exceeds that standard.

Downrezzing - reducing imagery from its original format is commonplace and an accepted practice - every 480i DVD and HDTV (720p or 1080i) video image has this done to it - the fact is that original film is far superior to ANY HDTV standard today, so ALL HD video is actually "downrezzed", if one insists on being anal.

Compression - often used to confuse people and replace "downrezzing" in a sentence by the negative D*TV and/or DISH zealots. Again ALL providers user compression to delivery X amount of imagery and sound via their existing bandwidth. This is not a static situation, rather, it various based on bandwidth availability, provider requirements, and other factors. There IS variety on how different folks do this, but with the advent and delivery of MPEG4 starting this year, D*TV will actually be at the forefront of what can be done in this area (as compared to toehr providers). Couple this with 2 new HD sats this year and 2 others thereafter, and the bandwidth D*TV has wiell blow away anyone else by an exponential rate.
dragon002 said:
and directv is LAUNCHING the most powerful sats ever built, and for what, nothing???

they are doing this HD thing right, slowly and methodically , so it is right from the get-go. why rush garbage to market ala voom???

ive seen posts on the various sites saying that voom will pass directv in subs, when, ? in 2525??? AINT GONNA HAPPEN!! dragon
The goal of the Voomer zealots clearly has always been to confuse people enough to migrate over to their brand of choice. The numbers already prove that this approach has been a miserable failure in every way. After almost 2 years "in business", they haven't even reached 50% of their FIRST year goal of subscribers. Now Cablevision is pulling the plug. This further upsets the apple cart for this group, and so their venting channel is the message boards.

Anything that comes out of the mouth of one of these 8-9 detractors should be taken as nothing but negative, distorted rhetoric.

Hopefully, people such as you continue to provide viable contributions and information here. Folks who want HDTV should get facts, not criticism, intentional propaganda, or misleading mumbo-jumbo lingo.

Thanks for setting the record straight, dragon.

not just negative voomers. I USE to have directv Hd, and now have time warner cable. I am not being mean but you guys will lose this conversation all of the time, Directv Hd is watered down, stop arguing like little school girls and go to class and learn the facts. Any time Directv broadcasts the HD picture they Compress it, Downrezz it just so they will have enough bandwith. There pictures are noticably softer and all around not as sharp as my cable (not sure about voom never had it but if I am comparing the voom I saw in my sears, with the Directv I see in my best buy, then yeah voom is ahead as well) Directv PQ is not up to the standards of my cable company, Voom, and Dish network (I had them as well) now the future might be bright for directv, but thats tommorow, and its not here. Lets look at todays facts and we will see Directv is not the HD Leader, plain and simple. Now can we stop tearing everyone down just because they dont agree with our statements, and look at facts, if someone can, I gladly challenge them to do a side by side of DIrectv and cable or voom or whoever as I have done and see, Directv is not up to snuff on HD. and since I am paying 75 a month for channels, I want to make sure its the best I can get.

equipment used plays a BIG role in overall PQ
I'll put my D* HD pitcure up against any HD signal from any provider, including OTA

prad is either in extreme denial or a DTV employee. I am by no means an HD junkie/expert whatever you want to call it.

So its extreme coincidence that me and my roommate both noticed a problem with HD service a week apart despite no change (except replacing every damn cable in the apartment after the fact) on our end?

If you can't see how bad it looks now, then you are simply in denial. I am not even an avid HD watcher and I can see the difference. It used to look much better - before Sept/Oct '04. which, oddly enough, is when DTV started compressing the HD streams for NFL ST. wow, imagine that.

I have been with D* since 1996 & D* HD since July '03. D* HD may not quite have the wow factor on some channels it used to, but it is still quite a pleasure to watch for me. My complaint is not the HD quality, but the SD quality or should I say the lack thereof.

I don't even mind the occasional blockiness we experience during fast action sequences; it's the absolute lack of focus, clarity or what ever you want to call a SOFT SD picture that urks me. On my Sammy 50" DLP, and my 46" CRT projection Sony, Sd is not much better than VHS. After watching a DVD or some HD programming, I absolutely can't stand the SD smear. Get with it DTV!! From what I have seen at some friend's house, Dish is just as bad or in the opinion of many posters on this forum, worse in the resolution department. From what I understand, the additional D* satellites will only fix the HD bandwidth problem, not the SD overcompression.

I have seen many opinions that VOOM is superior in both HD & SD. If they survive, they may be the answer to the people who want quality over quantity. I am watching & waiting to see.

guffy1 said:
Some of you know what I mean Im sure...

I switched from Charter Communications recently to D*..

The HD on D* sucks compared to Charter...

Now Im finding out that the max D* resolution for HD viewing is 1280x1080..

Well, if you have a 1080i HDTV that is a major screw job and Im real dissapointed... True HD resolution is 1900x1080..somewhere in that neighborhood...

Obviously thats what I was gettin from the cable company, becasue it was way better on every channel....

Anyways my question?

Does E* feature HD Lite as well?

And more importantly, how about BEV?

I cant deal with this watered down HD...How does one go about finding out what providers are providing the real thing?

Mostly I wanna know about BEV..

Any info appreciated...

Tx
I feel your pain, but I am trapped. I have an HD TiVo which pretty much commits me to D* as my provider until they convert my market to MPEG4 and replace that unit. In my opinion all of D*'s HD lineup is poor for true HD quality. i am thankful that most of the HD I do watch is OTA and still recorded by my HR10-250 ... and is quite stunning.

I think most of this will be resolved through the activation of SpaceWay 1 and the migration to MPEG4. If not, I hope Voom lives long enough for me to switch back over. I am in DMA #18 so once the changeover begins I should not be too far behind the top 12 leaders.

riggscm said:
From what I can tell Vurbano does little more then show his ass at every opportunity in this forum. He contributes nothing.

As a person that was born and raised in Va, I'm ashamed to see he is even from there.

Off topic personal attack. What does it have to do with Directv's downrezzed bitstarved picture?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)