What's the ethernet port good for on the VIP 722?

JimP

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Wetumpka, AL
Other than remote programming of my VIP 722, is there anything else that the ethernet port or the built in powerline port can be used for?

The networking ports are an excellent way of getting around paying the "Additional Tuner Fee" if you don't have the receiver connected to a phone line.

Properly configured, you can also download content from DISH Network over the Internet (some of it is free).

Thanks for replying guys.

I have the phone line hookup so I'm not having to deal with the extra fees.

I thought that Video on Demand was already on my DVR loaded during off peak hours. Is that not the case?

there is another section of VoD that is inside of the DVR menu that doesn't show up in your guide. When you pay for it, it actually downloads it over the internet.

I thought that Video on Demand was already on my DVR loaded during off peak hours. Is that not the case?
I think you need the ethernet connection.

Also, you can remotely schedule your receiver from dish.sling.com, edit your DVR and more easily search for upcoming shows from your computer.

And if you have a sling player you can view your DVR recordings from any internet connection.

Think of it this way, the ethernet connection is much newer technology and so it the receiver, so why not utilize it? They keep coming out with more and more features for it, unlike the phone line.

You got me sold.

Any thoughts on where to use the ethernet plug or go with the built in powerline functionality. With ethernet, it'll probably be on my current 802.11g network, not hardwired.

You got me sold.

Any thoughts on where to use the ethernet plug or go with the built in powerline functionality. With ethernet, it'll probably be on my current 802.11g network, not hardwired.
Use the ethernet RJ-45 port on the back of the receiver and connect it to whatever network you have available (wireless or hard-wired from a network device).

If you can't get a wire to the receiver, then using the wireless with a small wireless receiver and a short cat5 cable seems to work fine for many users here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)