__if day of month > 20 then
____Everyone get excited about a new S/W release fixing dark video
__else
____bitch & moan
__endif
until (0 > 0)

See how it goes?

I'll believe it when I see it. :(

If P266 has the major bugs still there (dark image, guide not updated when watching OTA, ...) but Dish Home Channel is working, I won't be at all happy.

Hey Dish, how about fixing serious bugs instead of wasting time on getting the Dish Home Channel in the code?

Keith.

Well, I got my 811 on the Friday of the first week they were available, way back in early December. I've waited this long, I suppose I can wait a little longer. But it is getting old.

I did notice something last night that I hadn't noticed before. My problem with dark output has been limited (I thought) to SD ouputs, S-output (and I assume composite, tho I don't have anything running from my composite output). But last night, when I was in HD mode (thru my component output), I flipped to a movie on FLIX (which is not an HD channel, so it was being converted by the 811). In normal mode, the picture darkness was as it should be. But as I toggled thru the 811's stretch modes (using the # key), I found that in all of the other modes (i.e. gray bar, partial zoom, zoom, etc.) the picture was visibly darker. I did this several times, there was no mistake. I then switched to DiscoveryHD, with a program that was running in true HD, and ran thru the different 811 picture modes, and there was no difference in the darkness level, regardless of the mode.

Has anyone else noticed this darkness difference with component or DVI outputs, when viewing SD material, and cycling thru the 811 stretch modes?

alocher

My 811 is dark through the component outputs. I took my 811 over to a friend's house and hooked it up via DVI to his Sony digital set. It did not appear to be dark through the DVI outputs, which seems to be the general observation on the forums.

Today, I observed something I haven't seen mentioned anywhere. My Toshiba allows varying the screen modes when watching 480p, but not 1080i. This way, I can negate the ESPN-HD channel's linear stretch of SD programming (it looks tons better than channel 140) When I switched my 811 to output at 480p, boom! The component output brightens up to "normal" levels.

Foxbat said:
When I switched my 811 to output at 480p, boom! The component output brightens up to "normal" levels.

Same here... I've always used 480p for SD watchin', for that reason.

Has anyone seen any change in the 811 dark component out problem? I have not seen an noticible improvement and the end of April has come and gone.

I believe it's now time for all members of this forum and all owners of 811's to take action. I'm getting tried of time after time corporations like Dish network lying to customers with no accountability. If a customer failed to pay for their subscription dish network would have the legal dogs on them in a heart beat.

Well now it’s our turn. :mad:
If there are members who are lawyers perhaps you could advise us (probono) on how to put together a class action suit against Dish for failing to deliver contracted services. If that’s not the right terminology I’m sure a good lawyer can come up with something.
If a person can sue McDonalds because coffee is hot and win, I’m sure we have a chance. Also anybody out there work for the media, I’ve heard the pen is mightier then the sword.

Dominic,

You are right. The 811 is a piece of crap and unless we do something about it Dish will never fix it.

N

Dominic said:
Has anyone seen any change in the 811 dark component out problem? I have not seen an noticible improvement and the end of April has come and gone.

I believe it's now time for all members of this forum and all owners of 811's to take action. I'm getting tried of time after time corporations like Dish network lying to customers with no accountability. If a customer failed to pay for their subscription dish network would have the legal dogs on them in a heart beat.

Well now it’s our turn. :mad:
If there are members who are lawyers perhaps you could advise us (probono) on how to put together a class action suit against Dish for failing to deliver contracted services. If that’s not the right terminology I’m sure a good lawyer can come up with something.
If a person can sue McDonalds because coffee is hot and win, I’m sure we have a chance. Also anybody out there work for the media, I’ve heard the pen is mightier then the sword.

If a customer failed to pay for their subscription, E* would just deactivate their receiver (no service - unless you're referring to a hacked receiver that would get everything for free?). Anyway, they wouldn't send their legal dogs immediately. You'd have to get caught (hacked receiver scenario) first.

I guess I'm willing to be a little more patient with them. The techs that I (and others) have been talking to are saying the same thing ("a few weeks) and I'm willing to give them those few weeks (in my book, "few" means 3) and if they can come up with a fix the way it sounds like they're working on, then, again, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and be patient. In my opinion, people generally are far too eager to become litigious than to be patient in the face of some problems and a promised fix (or fixes) that either haven't been entirely successful or haven't come through yet.

Okay, sure, I was hoping that yesterday (04/30) would've seen a nice, dramatic change in the SD channels, but it didn't happen. :( So, I'm disappointed, but it's not like it was completely unexpected. Several of us have been told "a few weeks" and, personally, I would rather wait a few weeks and see if they get it right (or if we get it at all).

If 266 doesn't happen sometime in next 3 weeks, you can bet I'll be sending another email to the tech asking what's the deal at the end of 3 weeks from 04/30.

There are times when legal action (class action) is appropriate, and times when you can get further being cooperative rather than antagonistic. I don't know...I guess I haven't reached the end of patience yet.

-Joe

ride525 said:
I'll hope the "few weeks" from now gets it done by the end of May. A "few" might be 3 or 4, maybe even 5.....

4 or 5 weeks goes beyond what I would reasonably consider "a few weeks". So, I will be patient until the end of the third week in May. Then I'll start asking questions of the tech I've been conversing with via email again.

Joe

"Then I'll start asking questions of the tech I've been conversing with via email again"

And then the tech will tell you to wait 3 more weeks and so on ad infinitum. A class action suit can be won in this case - the 811 is definitely a piece of crap.

N

Nicu said:
"Then I'll start asking questions of the tech I've been conversing with via email again"

And then the tech will tell you to wait 3 more weeks and so on ad infinitum.
N
Thats what happens everytime I call dish. I called 2 weeks ago and they said it will be out by the end of the month (April). I called again today and they said "very soon". When I asked more specifically, "probably in a few weeks". That is the same kind of answers I got back in February. :no