What's the latest on 811 fixes?

WeeJavaDude said:
Well if this is a hardware issue and someone finds a quick channel, I hope they will post it here so we can all take advantage and get our 811s fixed. :cool: :rolleyes:

If I find out something (and believe me I WILL find out something) you can bet you will see it here at SatelliteGuys. :D

Had an interesting 811 OTA digital experience today. This morning I tried to get my local PBS HD feed - and got the dreaded 49% message. I reset the receiver - no improvement. I waited a few hours and tried again - same story. Then I remembered that I had rotated the antenna about 5 degrees - really- yesterday. Went up and moved it back -- success. That little mother is really sensitive - prolly multipath?? - suggests playing a bit more with your antennae if you are having problems.

Craig

WeeJavaDude said:
Well if this is a hardware issue and someone finds a quick channel, I hope they will post it here so we can all take advantage and get our 811s fixed. :cool: :rolleyes:

Dish are still telling me that the 811 dark image problem will be fixed in P266, and the Dish Home Channel will be in P266. I have low expectations for P266 but let's wait and see. My patience is worn out, P266 is it or punt.

Keith.

811 repair coming?

Here's the response I got from tech support:

Thank you for your email correspondence. Our engineering department is aware of this issue and is currently working on a solution. The tentative release date for software version is the end of April 2004. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Isn't the end of April here?

The end of April is Friday. They like rolling out SW upgrades on a Friday so they dont have to listen to everybody bitch all weekend when it breaks something.

ilaudio said:
Here's the response I got from tech support:

Thank you for your email correspondence. Our engineering department is aware of this issue and is currently working on a solution. The tentative release date for software version is the end of April 2004. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Isn't the end of April here?

Not until Friday on my calendar......

What I was saying is the engineers dont work on the weekends. They rollout an upgrade on Friday and they dont have to worry about any problems until Monday.

I agree. I originally purchased the 811 to replace the 6000 due to fan issues and that the HD and Sd outputs were not simultaneously active. If by mid-May this PQ problem is not resolved, the 811 will be retired instead.

keith said:
My 811 DVI-D output is as bad or worse than component and s-video. This 811 surely has a hardware bug, but will Dish admit it and replace it?

Keith.
Based on what most people have reported you are in the huge minority. Having a DVI-D worse than svideo and componsite on the 811. Would make me think that you either have a bad 811 or something is wrong with your 811 cable or the calibration on your TV. I am not saying the 811 does not have problems with the DVI input, in my opinion it does. But to be worse than svideo, something else is going on with your box or setup.

WeeJavaDude said:
Based on what most people have reported you are in the huge minority.

When you said "huge minority" I couldn't help but think of Al Sharpton :)

I get bad images on all outputs. DVI-D to a flat panel LCD is the worst, and no fancy $100 Monster Cable DVI-D cable is going to fix that. I keep telling Dish that my 811 is messed up. They tell me to wait for P266. I am going to see what P266 does, and I expect it will do little, then Dish can then either send me a new 811 that is fixed or lose a customer. But then what do I know, only been designing video equipment for 25 years.

Keith.

keith said:
When you said "huge minority" I couldn't help but think of Al Sharpton :)

I get bad images on all outputs. DVI-D to a flat panel LCD is the worst, and no fancy $100 Monster Cable DVI-D cable is going to fix that. I keep telling Dish that my 811 is messed up. They tell me to wait for P266. I am going to see what P266 does, and I expect it will do little, then Dish can then either send me a new 811 that is fixed or lose a customer. But then what do I know, only been designing video equipment for 25 years.

Keith.

On Gary's last post... Sorry about the composite/component slip. This could be possible. as for Svideo.. if this is the case my take would be there is a problem somewhere in the system. As for a Monstor cable. DVI is digital and you either get the picture or you don't. PQ would not be a result of not having a Monster cable. Monster DVI cable is not necessary and a waste. (Not trying to start a Monstor bash thread).

Have you hooked any other DVI device to this input and checked the PQ? Not trying to push blame, just troubleshoot and this is not the norm for sure from what I have read and my experience.

266 response

I wrote to an E* tech, and here's his response. It "sounds" promising, but my skepticism level remains high:

"The hardware is designed to produce the correct level output on SD and
the test results reflect that with careful stand alone measurements. The
chip that produces the video output though has several settings, many of
which are undocumented by the vendor, that controls numerous parameters
of the video. We have been working closely with the vendor to find the
right set of parameters that are causing this problem. Of course the
vendor thought the original settings were correct. It has taken some
time, but we believe we finally have the correct mix to produce video
that meets the specifications on SD output. We have our internally
tested changes in the current internal software. As long as the tests
continue to work out and do not cause any unwanted side affects, we will
have this new set of parameters in the release of code that will also
contain the dish home channel. It is currently called P266, but this is
subject to change if an emergency release is needed for some reason."

So, I'll wait to see what 266 does on Friday (assuming it's released on Friday) and if it doesn't fix it, then it'll be time to start getting really seriously upset with them - not that'll do me a whole lot of good. But, having been a 6-7 year (most contented) subscriber, I would hope that my complaining would have some effect.

-Joe

long_time_DNC said:
I wrote to an E* tech, and here's his response. It "sounds" promising, but my skepticism level remains high:

"The hardware is designed to produce the correct level output on SD and
the test results reflect that with careful stand alone measurements. The
chip that produces the video output though has several settings, many of
which are undocumented by the vendor, that controls numerous parameters
of the video. We have been working closely with the vendor to find the
right set of parameters that are causing this problem. Of course the
vendor thought the original settings were correct. It has taken some
time, but we believe we finally have the correct mix to produce video
that meets the specifications on SD output. We have our internally
tested changes in the current internal software. As long as the tests
continue to work out and do not cause any unwanted side affects, we will
have this new set of parameters in the release of code that will also
contain the dish home channel. It is currently called P266, but this is
subject to change if an emergency release is needed for some reason."

So, I'll wait to see what 266 does on Friday (assuming it's released on Friday) and if it doesn't fix it, then it'll be time to start getting really seriously upset with them - not that'll do me a whole lot of good. But, having been a 6-7 year (most contented) subscriber, I would hope that my complaining would have some effect.

-Joe

That sure does not sound like the answer I was expecting. To me that sounds like they only think it is SD material and that is not the case. This is also seen on HD but to a lesser degree. Mostly in the Dark areas.

I hope this will also go away with the fix, but one will see.

Scott Greczkowski said:
That is great news, it sounds like the first honest email to come out of Dish in a long time. :lol: :D :D

Probably so, as it came from an Engineer. :) That must be why so many companies don't want their engineers speaking to the public.
:cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts