Whats the point of 3Ghz groundblocks/ wall plates if not using 3 gig coax?

BrettTRay said:
I wish commscope would migrate into making a competitive priced satellite coax that these satellite companies would start using. I can't believe that some of these companies like belden, commscope, Times Fiber, and others haven't started doing this. Instead they seem like they are only interested in making 1GHz CATV coax that is very expensive.

The 1 Ghz that Commscope and Belden makes is probably better constructed tan tha 2.3 Ghz stuff sold to satellite dealers. Swept to 3 Ghz means just that. Is does not mean that it is higher quality. 1 Ghz Commscope cable would most likely sweep to 3 Ghz and higher. The cable companies, who are their main customers just does not require the swwp test.

The current standard is tri-shielded rg6 with 88% braid. I use the ceap stuff for fulfillment satellite installs but prefer the Commscope or Belden for my own use, 1 Ghz or otherwise.

I have never failed to get the quality 1 Ghz stuff to work with DishPro or DishPro+.

Texanmutt said:
Has any one ever been to a trouble call that had foil shield (no braid) RG-6 ? Not but problems from that shite.

That's a new one for me. I've not seen foil shield only coax. You might have mistaken tri-shielded for no braid coax. Tri-shielded has two foil layers with a braded layer in between. Correctly stripped, the outer foil remains. It must be peeled off to expose the braid, which then must be folded back over the outer jacket, before placing the connector.

SteveR said:
I'm getting ready to run a bunch of new RG6 cable runs in my house. Where can I buy Stirling or Thomas and Betts connectors?

The Stirling and Thomas and Betts barrel connectors are at least five times more expensive as the cheap imported 3 Ghz stuff. Few distributors carry them because of cost. Thus, they are rare as hens' teeth. I have a small supply that I use for myself.

For most installs, I use the less expensive. Customers don't know of, don't want to pay extra, and don't care.

3GHz Barrel Connectors and Grounding Blocks

With defference to T&B and Stirling barrel connectors and Grounding Blocks, I've used PICO MACOM for several years without any problems. They are not cheap of course. They are Gold plated beryllium copper 360 degree round seizing pins maximizing center conductor surface contact thereby significantly reducing contact resistance. Have reduced aperture flat-ended ports on both ends comply to SCTE/ANSI IPS-SP-407 standard to maximize connector shield to connector surface contact and reduce moisture migration. Return loss over -30dB up to 3GHz exceeds SCTE return loss standard. Yeah I copied most of that from a retailer but they also look and feel like quality. PICO MACOM also manufactures professional products for cable companies, et. al.

Ground Blocks and Coaxial Cable

I have always used the cheap perfect vision crap that is made in china and has always worked great for any directv or Dish pro stuff. I have reused the 20 year old plus wall plates in homes and never had any problems with a check switch or transponder failing.

I like commscope and skywalker cable, it is a lot more durable and made in usa!!!! We still use the standard perfect vision ground blocks and f 81 barrels and have never had any problems with equipment that is not swept tested for 3 ghz.

dodge said:
I have always used the cheap perfect vision crap that is made in china and has always worked great for any directv or Dish pro stuff. I have reused the 20 year old plus wall plates in homes and never had any problems with a check switch or transponder failing.
I like commscope and skywalker cable, it is a lot more durable and made in usa!!!! We still use the standard perfect vision ground blocks and f 81 barrels and have never had any problems with equipment that is not swept tested for 3 ghz.

How can you stand to use perfect 10 ground blocks. They are such crap. They have pretty good barrels though. I preffer steren ground blocks with machined threads. The plating doesnt peel off like the perfect 10 stuff.

I have to agree. Perfect 10's groundblocks don't thread too well with most of my fittings either. And as to recycling wallplates...UGH!...that's just flirting with disaster. I would rather see somebody replace the barrels in the wallplates if they're concerned with cosmetics and offending customers with custom wallplates.

dodge said:
Not to get inot an us vs them issue..But if I could find a USAA made cable aat a reasonable price, I'd buy it...unfortuntely, CommScope and Belden are about 50-75 % more..The quality isn't that much better. So other than doing my part to save an American job there is little value...Thus I buy the imported stuff and will continue to do so until Belden or CommScope wire prices become competitive
I have never seen Skywalker Cable. Wouldn't know where to get it

alll the cable we use is swept tested to 3Ghz anyway, so it exceeds the 2150 requirement. And no we arent paying extra for this cable, it's the standard bulk spools from our local cable dealer.

Anyone use windows media center with dish?

Palm Beach, Fl Installer Needed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)