Whats the point of 3Ghz groundblocks/ wall plates if not using 3 gig coax?

No, the new requirements by dish and i thing D* that all ground blocks, barrels in wallplates and diplexers be rated at 3 gig but no requirement on coax...it doesnt make any sence. yeah 3 gig coax is available...and expensive at aound 54 bucks per K'.
one would think they would want some congruity.

2GHz RG6 is a "soft" requirement from what I've always known, OTOH if you were prewiring a new house, that 3ghz will probably be worth it (as cat6 or cat6e would/will be)..

Personally as far as pre-wire goes I wish I could just do fibre channel!

youre not following at all.

It is a REQUIREMENT per E* that ALL coaxial ground blocks, barrel fittings, di-plexers etc be rated for 3Ghz (yano the blue plastic inserts)...which is pointless if you are only running 2150Mhz coax.

As an enginner, who has followed the electrical connector industry for more than 30 years, I must disagree with the posters, who scoff at the 3 Ghz recommendation.

Good enough or meeting minimal specifications or the lowest bid meeting minimal specifications is fine, but I, myself, in particular, want better than minimum.

A connector designed for 3 Ghz is different from the old standard F81 socket. In the old socket, two brass springs contact the center conductor at two small points of contact. Both Stirling and Thomas and Betts make the best 3 Ghz connectors. The socket is a machined phospher bronze tolerance entry cone and tube, into which center conductor of the coax fits. There is a 360 degree contact over a length of tubing.

In the early days of cable TV, there was no real voltage, just a very low strength signal transmitted over the connection. And, the signal was not pure DC. DC voltage transmitted over time in the presence of moisture and polution from humidity in the air causes electrolytic corrosion over time. The connection actually becomes an electrplating setup.

So, in dbs applications, "overkill" in the connection is good insurance for long term reliability.

I do a lot of service calls. Connections or badly degraded ones make up the majority of problems.

Well now that you lay it out like that it makes sence. Im however NOT an EE, so you mite see my confusion. Im asuming noone else new either, because you were the 1st to chime in with a REAL ANSWER...thanks, makes sence now.

ITK said:
No, the new requirements by dish and i thing D* that all ground blocks, barrels in wallplates and diplexers be rated at 3 gig but no requirement on coax...it doesnt make any sence. yeah 3 gig coax is available...and expensive at aound 54 bucks per K'.
one would think they would want some congruity.

Perfect vision wire is 3ghz and doesnt cost anywere near that much. Of course it's not a very good quality wire though.

OoTLink said:
2GHz RG6 is a "soft" requirement from what I've always known, OTOH if you were prewiring a new house, that 3ghz will probably be worth it (as cat6 or cat6e would/will be)..

Personally as far as pre-wire goes I wish I could just do fibre channel!

I don't like cat6 if you go UTP as in theory it is great but I have had alot of interference problems with it whereas Cat5 in the same installation is just fine. If it's STP, then no problem, but expensive. The one caveat to make sure in a new home IMO is if the run is longer than 20-25 feet, make sure whatever cabling you put in is solid core, not stranded.

Mike500 said:
A connector designed for 3 Ghz is different from the old standard F81 socket. In the old socket, two brass springs contact the center conductor at two small points of contact. Both Stirling and Thomas and Betts make the best 3 Ghz connectors. The socket is a machined phospher bronze tolerance entry cone and tube, into which center conductor of the coax fits. There is a 360 degree contact over a length of tubing.

I'm getting ready to run a bunch of new RG6 cable runs in my house. Where can I buy Stirling or Thomas and Betts connectors?

The reason Dish is requiring 3GHz materials is due to Dishpro. Supposally they need the higher frequency to function properly.
Just get your stuff from Perfect10 1000' rg6 solid copper UL approved $43 and wall plates .25.

rowemance said:
The reason Dish is requiring 3GHz materials is due to Dishpro. Supposally they need the higher frequency to function properly.
Just get your stuff from Perfect10 1000' rg6 solid copper UL approved $43 and wall plates .25.

exactly my point, but requiring only the connectors to be 3Ghz and not the coax "that dont make no sence" (think oh brother where ar't thou)...unless of course its just about the quality of the connection made as pointed out by mike above....but i digress

What other brands of wire are you installers using? The only wire we ever used was : DIsh Network RSP - Perfect Vision CopperClad Steel rated to 3ghz RG6 / Directv HSP - Eagle Aspen Solid Copper core rated to 2.25ghz RG6. I would be particularly interest in what cable and connectors the DNSC guys are using.

Well, the whole 3ghz cable thing merely means that it was swep tested to that requirement. This should not mean that older, lower tested cable cannot also meet this requirement, it just wasn't tested for that as it was not a necessity at the time.
Ive seen a lot more problems from older groundblocks/barrels than i have from old cable. Theres a retirement home we did with at least 200 foot runs of cable which was no doubt installed 20+ years ago. No problems besides customer education and the new management. Had we left the original barrels in the wall plates, no doubt in my mind we'd be there every day.
Correct me if Im wrong please, I very well could be off the mark thi is just my understanding on the topic.

ITK said:
exactly my point, but requiring only the connectors to be 3Ghz and not the coax "that dont make no sence" (think oh brother where ar't thou)...unless of course its just about the quality of the connection made as pointed out by mike above....but i digress

I really hated the Aspen I used it. the outer coating seemd to slip back and make it a real pain for getting fittings on well when it was cold out(Green Bay winters)
Right now we use skywalker. I can definitely tell the cable is not as high quality as what I used as a sub for Charter cable, but its rated high enough and I havent had any real issues with it. I do use the coil packs from my cable buddies now and again when they have a "surplus" ;)

I wish commscope would migrate into making a competitive priced satellite coax that these satellite companies would start using. I can't believe that some of these companies like belden, commscope, Times Fiber, and others haven't started doing this. Instead they seem like they are only interested in making 1GHz CATV coax that is very expensive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)