What’s the right replacement power supply for a DIRECTV Gemini?

The new DIRECTV Gemini is here, and it’s creating a lot of buzz. That makes sense, because it’s a first for DIRECTV. It’s one box that gives you live satellite TV and apps all at once. There’s one remote, no changing inputs, and everything just works great. But, even though it’s so new, people are asking questions as if it’s been on the market for a while. I get it folks, you’re planning ahead. Makes sense to me.

H25-POWER-SUPPLY-REP_0.JPG

This is the right power supply.​

Like pretty much every receiver and Genie client made in the last decade, the Gemini uses the venerable EPS10 power supply. You can get one now at Solid Signal. This one adapter has been in use since the H25 came out in 2011. In that time, it’s been redesigned to be a little smaller, but the specs are still the same. It still puts out 12 volts at a maximum draw of 1.5 amps. That’s a little more than a typical phone charger but not enough to really cost you much on your electric bill.

It just makes sense for DIRECTV to standardize on this power supply. It makes upgrades easy. When I upgraded from an ancient C41 client to a brand new shiny Gemini, I just unplugged one and connected the other. I didn’t even change power supplies. Why would I? That extra step just wasn’t worth it.

Why doesn’t the Gemini use a USB power supply like a phone?​

I agree, that would probably be convenient too. My guess is that it could, potentially, have been designed that way. But as soon as you do that, you have people using just “any old” power supply they have. Not every one is designed to the same specs, and that can cause problems. It can cause the device to act unpredictably or shorten its life. Neither of those things is a good look for something that’s expected to provide reliable service for hours on end.

Get DIRECTV accessories from Solid Signal​

Solid Signal is your home for DIRECTV accessories. When you shop at SolidSignal.com, you get the same high-quality parts used by DIRECTV installers. There’s quality baked into everything you get. More importantly, we can help you choose the right part if you don’t know what you need. Call our tech support lines before or after the sale during East Coast business hours. We have staff in our Detroit-area office who are ready to help you. Call 888-233-7563 or fill out the form below. We’re here for you!

The post What’s the right replacement power supply for a DIRECTV Gemini? appeared first on The Solid Signal Blog.

Continue reading...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)