What's the Secret to Getting a New Customer Deal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jyafink

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
I've seen recent posts where people are saying they are getting things like free Superfan, four months free DVR service, four months free HD service, coupon books, 2 free HD DVRs, a free year of Showtime, etc… all at the same time for being a new customer!

I called tonight and all I asked for at first was free Superfan if I signed up and figured I'd take it from there. I was told no. I basically asked what else they could offer me for being a new customer. The response was what's on their website – the 74.99 for four months, a free HD DVR upgrade and free delivery and handling. I said are you sure you can't give me at least Superfan? The guy then put me on hold and came back and said he asked his supervisor and confirmed that the best anyone there could offer is what's on their website. I said a friend of mine recently signed up and was given free Superfan and some other items mentioned above. He said it was impossible and my friend was giving me false information. The call basically ended there.

So, I figured I'd call again like people suggest and talk to another CSR. I used a different phone in case they recorded notes about my first number and called a half hour later. In a nutshell, the second lady also refused to give me Superfan or anything else other than what's on their website – the exact same thing the first guy told me!

I was extremely polite, asked a lot of questions, and made it sound like I really wanted to be a new customer but only if I got a little more. They were both real business like and basically had the attitude of what you see is what you get – take it or leave it. So much for wanting new subscribers! What's going on? I only have two phones and they probably tracked them with notes on me. What do I have to do? How many times do I have to call? Are people lying about their supposed deals up? Arrrgggh!!!!

I think you are seeing current users maybe getting small bits and pieces or two for deals but not the entire NEW user deals by any means. You just missed the free NFL ST / free SF promo for current users I think. (Sign up for constant email alerts)

I also got a HD DVR and standard HD receiver with Slimline dish upgrade for free (just around $20 to ship it all to me). I think a lot depends on your overall length on service and customer rating with them. You may simply be a victim of poor timing on when you called up vs what promos were in effect and now they may be tightening the reigns a bit. I can assure you that I have no reason to post lies about the gear I have and how I got it. I feel strongly that the same holds true for most of us here.

Some ideas, the circuit city promo this week is very good if you spend $500 on audio/tv/pc.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...s-free-nfl-ticket-new-subscriber-weekend.html

As for just directv, you can get another $50 via having a referral.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...-referals-get-50-off-new-directv-service.html

Do you have AAA, that can save extra, quite a bit extra.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...-additional-240-off-new-directv-customer.html

Also, our sponser Plasma Concepts runs a rebate on top of the national promo.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/141951-new-fall-offer-save-big-plasma-concepts.html

I WOULD BE a new customer. I also didn't mean to accuse any one person in particular of being a liar, but that there might be slight exaggeration from everyone combined taken as a whole. Either that, or D* is the car salesmen of the satellite world. The timing thing does make sense just like any other store that has sales one week and not the next, but to give so much to some people on one day, and the very next day refuse to even consider the slightest upgrade to anyone else doesn't make sense. Plus, if the CSR's were told to give out extras, suddenly ending it on a Wednesday, July 29 (I called on 7/30) and not the end of the month or week further seems illogical from any standard business practice. I also didn't mention that the second woman told me "We have never given out more than what is explicitly promoted on our website. If I did, I would be fired on the spot". I guess she is the real liar – or was told by her bosses to lie.

Sorry, I'm obviously frustrated.

Much better experience today. I got the following:

1 Free HD-DVR
3 free standard receivers
$50 for using American Express
$50 for a referral
$64.99 for 4 months for the current Sunday Ticket/Premier deal (instead of the stated $74.99)
1 year free showtime
Go Green discount
4 months for remaining Nascar season
1 month free game lounge.
Free shipping & handling, install, slimline dish, etc…
4 months free HD-DVR fee

The one thing she insisted was that absolutely no new customer will get superfan for free under the current offer. She said new customers were getting it free during the last offer if they signed up for the 81.99 Premier deal for four months along with the regular $299 Sunday Ticket fee (or whatever it was), because even with them throwing in superfan the customer was still not getting nearly as good of a deal as the current offer. As far as websites offering superfan free through 7/31, she said that is not from DirecTV themselves and she can guarantee that the customer would be paying that $100 fee to whoever offered it in some other way and would not be getting nearly what I got. Since I no longer care about wheeling and dealing, I'll trust her on that one.

Anyway, the unscientific secrets from my experience are 1.) avoid the night CSRs – either it was a coincidence or they are really nasty to deal with, and 2.) ask every little stupid question you can think of to keep them on the line. My entire call was 1 hr. 15 min. and it took a while before she started adding things such as the reduced $64.99 and some of the other stuff. Maybe they figure after spending so much time with you they better do something to get you to sign up! It's also true what other posters say about persistence. If they knock you down don't give up and keep calling for more until you get someone nice to deal with.

I WOULD BE a new customer. I also didn't mean to accuse any one person in particular of being a liar, but that there might be slight exaggeration from everyone combined taken as a whole. Either that, or D* is the car salesmen of the satellite world. The timing thing does make sense just like any other store that has sales one week and not the next, but to give so much to some people on one day, and the very next day refuse to even consider the slightest upgrade to anyone else doesn't make sense. Plus, if the CSR's were told to give out extras, suddenly ending it on a Wednesday, July 29 (I called on 7/30) and not the end of the month or week further seems illogical from any standard business practice. I also didn't mention that the second woman told me "We have never given out more than what is explicitly promoted on our website. If I did, I would be fired on the spot". I guess she is the real liar – or was told by her bosses to lie.

Sorry, I'm obviously frustrated.

No one was saying that you were being accusatory; we were just having fun.

It is no secret

At the first voice prompt state, "Discontinue Service" and you will be connected to an articulate person that has the authority to do something. Worked for me last year.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts