What's this unusual LNB configuration called?

Each of the outputs on your older model represents outputs for each of the four received satellites (110/118/119/129) to feed individually into a separate required dpp44 switch. The dpp44 switch combines all four of those satellites and feeds to combined four satellite signals to a maximum of four receivers. Hence the "44" in dpp44. Four sat signals in, out to four receivers.

The newer model does not require the separate dpp44 switch because it is now integrated into the new lnb. Individual lines from the receivers can now be connected to the lnb without need for a separate switch. The lnb will pass signal from 110/118/119 together from any of the first three outputs on the left to a receiver. An additional lnb can be attached to the left hand side of the main component to receive signal from 129. A small jumper is connected from the output of the single add-on lnb to the fourth output (the one on the far right) of the main component. Together, all four satellite can now be delivered together to a maximum of three receivers.

Overall, it is a much easier piece of equipment to install with fewer points of failure (no dpp44 switch), and far fewer cables and fittings. You do lose the output for the fourth receiver, though. To answer your question....the number of cables from the dish would match the number of receivers you have in the house. If you have two rcvrs, you'd only need two cables. Three rcvrs, three cables. More than that and you would need the dpp44 switch. This is all based on your current Western Arc setup. Eastern Arc setups are even easier.
Yes. Excellent post. The new DPP 500+ has the destincitve "HD" in red on the back cover of the LNBF's. Also, these new ones easily support Hopper installations allowing direct connections from LNBF's to Nodes. I had that OLD LNBF assembly with the clear cover for 119/118 when that was the ONLY efficient way for me to access all 4 sats. When I switched to the Hopper, the tech installed the new version to make his life easier, and a less costly install, as well. I was fine with a brand new and better tech LNBF. The new ones make for so much easier an install, especially for Hoppers.

I don't know much about this kind of thing, but I see that the LNB you showed has three outputs, and my older one has four? Does that have any bearing on anything? All four of mine were connected, so what would happen with the fourth line if someone swapped in the model you're showing?

You will still have to add the other lnb with the same arm for 129 to this lnb and there is an input for to directly connect the 129 lnb to the main lnb or you can use a DPP44.

You will still have to add the other lnb with the same arm for 129 to this lnb and there is an input for to directly connect the 129 lnb to the main lnb or you can use a DPP44.
Yes. And unless it has changed, the DPP44 is the ONLY switch this LNBF can work with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)